PVC pipe for water supply to HLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homer

Reaction score
Hi All,
Is it okay to use regular white pvc pipe to feed my HLT? In my new brewing space there is an existing pvc cold water pipe that feeds an aquarium chiller in the next room that I can easily tap off of and run through my filters to my HLT without much work. If I have to run copper all the way from the source, that will be a major pain.

Thanks for the input.

Make sure it's CPVC, not the standard white DWV stuff. Or consider PEX, even easier to route/run.

The Rigid white PVC that is currently in place is 1/2 inch, I heard (and quickly checked home depot online) that the dwv stuff is only in the larger diameters and all the smaller ones are good for water supply. Also while looking at some 4 inch dwv pipe on HD's website the description says "4 in. x 2 ft. PVC DWV Sch. 40 Pipe" and down below in the specs it shows "Recommended function: DWV and Water Supply" Not really sure what that means though.

And yes, I will only pass cold water through it.

Back