PVC Hop Spider went for a swim

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halpatter

Reaction score
Good morning all,

First time poster. I know I may be being a bit of a worrier but I'm looking for some insight from all you Wizards of Wort! I recently built a Hop Spider using a 4" PVC fitting and was not worried about chemical contamination because it was not going to come into contact with the boiling wort (or so I thought). A little while into the boil however, the PVC "melted" and the whole assembly fell into the kettle. I fished it out right away and it was in there for a couple of minutes tops. Now I know that regular PVC (not CPVC) can leach some chemicals at high temps but, (here's where the worrier comes out) do you think I should have any concern with such limited contact. I certainly don't want to dump the batch because it actually went real well but, at the same time I don't want to poison myself...lol! Thanks all and happy brewing!

Can't answer your question, but if it makes you feel any better two weeks ago I dropped a clamp into my boil. Not this exact one but something like it: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000022450/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

That was a pain to fish out. I'm not dead, but I haven't drunk the resulting beer yet either.

I've also been using a PVC hop spider. Never had a problem until I did a two hour boil recently. The side 'softened' so it never fell it but started to cave. Last straw that made me lose all confidence in it. I only went that route because none of my local hardware stores had SS carriage bolts long enough or a SS flange. I've used the PVC spider since, but I finally gave up on my local stores and ordered:

SS Flange: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CCMZ18/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
SS Carriage bolts: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009YALYS4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it will kill you unless you make this a regular addition to your homebrew.

It might not taste great but the only thing to do now is to let it ferment and see what comes of it, if anything. And report back your findings, of course!

You could also build it out of aluminum flashing and two pieces of all thread. The all thread could be used to hold the shape of a circle of flashing and support over the kettle. I would have the all thread run the full diameter of the kettle for more strength. Then you could make the opening however large you need.

The HBT archives have quite a few epic fails using PVC as a spider collar.
Bad juju, right from the jump.

If it had been left percolating in the boil for long that'd be one thing, but if it was promptly fished out I doubt there would have been significant leaching. I'd be inclined to finish out the batch and if there's nothing off-putting (and I'd set that bar fairly low this time around) I'd go ahead and enjoy it...

Cheers!

This is why I used a stainless steel sink drain collar and ss eye bolts instead of the pvc. I suggest you build one of these instead second time around. Not trying to b an a hole but it takes all the worry out of it and it works great. Hope your beer turns out ok. Only time will tell I guess.

This is why I used a stainless steel sink drain collar and ss eye bolts instead of the pvc. I suggest you build one of these instead second time around. Not trying to b an a hole but it takes all the worry out of it and it works great. Hope your beer turns out ok. Only time will tell I guess.

+1 on the sink drain. Cost was around $10 @ HD, drilled a few holes and used threaded rod and lock nuts.

+1 on the sink drain. Cost was around $10 @ HD, drilled a few holes and used threaded rod and lock nuts.

It was a ***** to drill through using tungsten bits but in the end it worked and it's prob one of the best pieces of equipment I use. 5 gal paint strainer bag and I don't notice any difference or lack of hop utilization as the bag just swirls around in the wort. Great for hopstands too, and using pellets I get minimal hop gunk.

Probably not what you want to hear, but melty plastic in the beer? To me, that's a dumper.

Probably not what you want to hear, but melty plastic in the beer? To me, that's a dumper.

Yeah I was thinking the same. Just seems I'd have a hard time drinking something I knew chemically treated plastic fell into it.

Latest posts

Back