PVC Draft Tower insulation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

all-world1

Reaction score
I'm building a draft tower from 3" PVC pipe based on the plans from BYO mag. The pipe wall is 1/4" thick. I'll be running a cooling fan hose up into the tower. Just wondering if I can get away without insulating the pipe based on its thickness.

Pretty much any insulation is better than none.
I'd definitely put/glue a layer of foam along the inside of the pipe, as high up as possible, and inside the top/lid. The fan helps with recirculation, it's important.

Some people also put their beer lines in copper tubes inside the tower sticking out into the kegerator to help with chilling the inside of the tower.

Using Bev-Seal Ultra 235 lines with John Guest push-fit adapters? I can recommend them. You'd need 12-15' per tap, coil up.

Pretty much any insulation is better than none.
I'd definitely put/glue a layer of foam along the inside of the pipe, as high up as possible, and inside the top/lid. The fan helps with recirculation, it's important.

Some people also put their beer lines in copper tubes inside the tower sticking out into the kegerator to help with chilling the inside of the tower.

Using Bev-Seal Ultra 235 lines with John Guest push-fit adapters? I can recommend them. You'd need 12-15' per tap, coil up.
OK thanks, I'll add the insulation from top to bottem of the tower.

Back