Putting together my first AG from a recipe and need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urg8rb8

Reaction score
The gain bill is as follows:

(Weihenstephaner Dunkel Clone)
5 lbs Pilsner Malt
5 lbs Wheat malt
1 lb Honey malt
.5 lb Special B
.5 lb rice hulls

Online website has the following for Pilsen Malts:

German, Belgin, Undermodified

and these two Wheat Malts:

White and Torrified.

Since I am ordering ingredients for the first time (no kit), I'm a bit confused as to which malts I should be ordering. I'm guessing German Pilsen and White Wheat Malts?

Thanks!!

I also have another recipe that I'm putting together that calls for Pale Malt. And the website has Pale Ale Malt. Is that the same thing? Or should I be getting 2-Row or 6-Row malt?

Get German pilsner, white wheat, and everything else.

Pale malt is kinda the same. 2 row/pale malt is mostly dependant on the country of origin. Don't worry about 6 row at this stage of the game.

Oh. And if you are using pilsner malt of any kind, boil for 90 min to get rid of dms.

Get German pilsner, white wheat, and everything else.

Pale malt is kinda the same. 2 row/pale malt is mostly dependant on the country of origin. Don't worry about 6 row at this stage of the game.

Oh. And if you are using pilsner malt of any kind, boil for 90 min to get rid of dms.

Ordered! Thanks!

I also have another recipe that I'm putting together that calls for Pale Malt. And the website has Pale Ale Malt. Is that the same thing? Or should I be getting 2-Row or 6-Row malt?

Pale Ale Malt has a slightly higher °L than just pale two row. Usually about 3.5°L vs 2°L.
I really like it in my Pale Ales and IPA's. I think a little more flavor. You could also use Maris Otter.
Definitely 89 minutes w/ the Pilsner.

This is what I ended up getting for the Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA clone:

14# two-row
11oz Crystal 60L

and for the Weihenstephaner Dunkel Clone:

5 lbs German Pilsen Malt
5 lbs White Wheat malt
1 lb Honey malt
.5 lb Special B
.5 lb rice hulls

I am having second thoughts on the White Wheat Malt. Should I have gotten the Red Wheat Malt? I don't know the difference. The only thing I could find is that the red would be slightly darker. Do you know if the flavor profile is any different?

Pale Ale Malt has a slightly higher °L than just pale two row. Usually about 3.5°L vs 2°L.
I really like it in my Pale Ales and IPA's. I think a little more flavor. You could also use Maris Otter.
Definitely 89 minutes w/ the Pilsner.

I'll try the Pale Ale or the Maris Otter Malt next time. I wish I could taste side-by-side beers with just small changes to see how the final beer changes.

I did a 5 second Google about the topic for my own curiosity about red vs white and found that the only difference is a slight color difference. People said that it was indistinguishable, even in 50% wheat beers.

Definitely try other pale malts like marris Otter. I like my IPAs to make the hops shine and not have a malty backbone, so I use bland shtuff like American 2-row. To each their own. I use the crap out of marris Otter in brown ales and such. My pale ale recipe is actually 50/50 Marris Otter/2row.

You got the right wheat malt for the recipe. I find red wheat has a slightly heavier flavor. I would not substitute it in a recipe that calls for white wheat malt.

Torrified wheat malt is different. I have not used it yet.

If you want to find out about the different base malts, make a couple of SMaSH recipes.

Try Maris Otter and Cascade (or your favorite hop) for one and 2 row and Cascade for another. Use the same hop schedule for both and it will really show the difference between the malts.

This is also a good way to see the difference of hop flavors. Use the same malt for 2 batches and change the hops.

I'll try the Pale Ale or the Maris Otter Malt next time. I wish I could taste side-by-side beers with just small changes to see how the final beer changes.

Next two beers you brew do SMaSH beers with the same hop but use one with 2 row and one with MO. I do one with MO and all Galaxy and it's really good the MO is definitely a more flavorful malt that stands up on its own the two row is really plain so that's why most if not all beers with two row have some addition of Vienna, Munich, victory or crystal to add some flavor or sweetness.

I did a 5 second Google about the topic for my own curiosity about red vs white and found that the only difference is a slight color difference. People said that it was indistinguishable, even in 50% wheat beers.

Definitely try other pale malts like marris Otter. I like my IPAs to make the hops shine and not have a malty backbone, so I use bland shtuff like American 2-row. To each their own. I use the crap out of marris Otter in brown ales and such. My pale ale recipe is actually 50/50 Marris Otter/2row.

Thanks for doing the search as well. I found that some people think the red wheat was more sweet.

I'll def try MO next time!

You got the right wheat malt for the recipe. I find red wheat has a slightly heavier flavor. I would not substitute it in a recipe that calls for white wheat malt.

Torrified wheat malt is different. I have not used it yet.

If you want to find out about the different base malts, make a couple of SMaSH recipes.

Try Maris Otter and Cascade (or your favorite hop) for one and 2 row and Cascade for another. Use the same hop schedule for both and it will really show the difference between the malts.

This is also a good way to see the difference of hop flavors. Use the same malt for 2 batches and change the hops.

That's a good idea. Maybe I'll do 5 one gallon batches with different variables.

Next two beers you brew do SMaSH beers with the same hop but use one with 2 row and one with MO. I do one with MO and all Galaxy and it's really good the MO is definitely a more flavorful malt that stands up on its own the two row is really plain so that's why most if not all beers with two row have some addition of Vienna, Munich, victory or crystal to add some flavor or sweetness.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been hearing a lot about SMaSH. I've heard good reviews even though they are "simple".

Is the recipe for a Dunkel or a Dunkelweizen. Looking at doing one or other or both in the next weeks?

I'm guessing it's a Dunkelweizen or is that implied as it's a Weihenstephaner clone? Forgive my ignorance.

Is the recipe for a Dunkel or a Dunkelweizen. Looking at doing one or other or both in the next weeks?

I'm guessing it's a Dunkelweizen or is that implied as it's a Weihenstephaner clone? Forgive my ignorance.

No ignorance! Yes, its a Dunkelweizen. Weihenstephaner calls it a "Hefeweissbier Dunkel". I've had this store-bought beer before and its delicious so I'm hoping the clone will come close to it. People who have brewed the clone have sworn that they couldn't really distinguish it from the original in a side by side taste test.

No ignorance! Yes, its a Dunkelweizen. Weihenstephaner calls it a "Hefeweissbier Dunkel". I've had this store-bought beer before and its delicious so I'm hoping the clone will come close to it. People who have brewed the clone have sworn that they couldn't really distinguish it from the original in a side by side taste test.

Good to know. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Back