Putting together a "Mad Scientist" lab kit for my nephew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drac0

Reaction score
My nephew just turned 8 years old and tomorrow he goes into surgery for the 6th time this year. In the last 12 months he's had over a dozen surgeries. For the past 3 years, he's had to take all his feedings from a feeding tube (J tube, I think it's called) that was surgically installed from outside his stomach. I want to send him something fun to help take his mind off of things.

For the last two years, he's been telling his mother that he wants to be a scientist, though lately he wants to be a "Mad Scientist so I've been parting together an Amazon wish list of science lab related items. I'm hoping that family and friends will help pitch in and order some of the items from the list, since the cost will build up quickly.

Since Labs are not a place I'm accustomed to, I need some help filling it out the wish list some. I've got test tubes, beakers, flasks a microscope and other assorted things. I'm trying to keep away from glass if at all possible. I don't want to get a kid's set, because all the ones I've seen look too toyish. If he really wants to be a scientist, then this should help give some motivation to learn.

Here's the wish list, let me know what I should add to it to flesh it out more. http://amzn.com/w/2OILFL1P7PM1L

SamsLab.jpg

Look into some basic (ie gradeschool or even highschool) chemistry experiments and get the chemicals needed for these. This lab equipment wont be very fun if all he can do is grow things in a petri dish.

It looks pretty good so far! Don't know what else could be added that is "safe" for a little kid. Some glass slides and cover glass for the microscope may be helpful. Some small microcentrifuge tubes may be cool for him. They hold 2, 1.5, and 0.2 mL commonly. Maybe some latex/nitrile gloves. I use pipettes every day in my lab. Don't know if they have cheap versions. You could try and find a bulb filler and some serological pipettes. I see you have some already though.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipette

Maybe a book that has safe experiments for kids. Baking soda and vinegar, milk plastic, homemade silly putty, etc.

I found an inexpensive 12 pack of pipettes that I've added to the list. I just couldn't see buying a 100 pack though it wouldn't be much more.. lol

I'd probably go and get him a chemistry set, with glass tubes and all. Tell him to be careful:)

About about a beginner's electronics kit?

Buy/give him enough equipment to make soda, and teach him the process. It can be a hobby for both of you. When he gets older I bet he'd grow into a great brewing partner!

Buy/give him enough gear to make homemade soda, and teach him to make it. It could be a great experience for both of you. I bet he'd grow into a great home brewing partner!

For good or bad, he can't have soda. He eats everything through a feeding tube.. Not a fun existence, IMO. Any time he eats food orally, it causes him severe pain.

Hopefully they'll find out what is wrong with him, he's gone 3 years undiagnosed and maybe he can have a normal adulthood.

Anyway, I've bought him a microscope and hopefully the rest of the family and friends will jump on board.

Hey send me a PM, I have tons of lab supplies, I would send some things to you.
I have tubes, pipet tips, pipettors, gloves, lab coats, etc.
Let me know what you would like.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

I'm sending him a microscope, my aunt is sending some test tubes, goggles and a digital scale. I'm hoping some other family will get him the lab coat at the very least, what scientist doesn't have a lab coat, right?

Also, a very big thank you to onthekeg.

Back