Putting Together 3 SMASH Brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atvar

Reaction score
I want to put together a series of 3 SMASH brews to try and get a better feel for differences between hops. I'm thinking all 3 will be 10lb MO(mashed at 154), 1 packet US-05, and 5 gallon batches. The question is how I handle the hops. I plan on using 2 or 3 ounces per brew of:

Chinook 13.6%
Centennial 10%
Cascade 5.4%

with a 60 min. bittering addition, 15 or 10 min. flavor addition, and 5 or 0 min. aroma addition. The problem is, if I use equal amounts and times for the hops, the chinook would be over 2x as bitter as the cascade. But if I do 60 min additions of 0.25oz chinook, 0.5oz centennial, 1oz cascade, and use equal amounts of flavoring and aroma hops, they should all be around 28 IBU.

What hops addition times and amounts would you use to make these good comparision brews?

I have seen this come up before and if you really want to know the difference, match the IBUs and not amounts.

Back