Putting sugar in each bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanppp

Reaction score
I just moved to Europe and I have a very simple setup. I ferment in a Better Bottle and then rack to a corny keg, mix the priming sugar in there, and bottle with a Blichmann Beer Gun (using gravity, no CO2).

I have just finished the first IPA on this setup, dry hopping in the keg. I had a bunch of hop bits and polyphenols floating about in the beer so I added polyclar and crash cooled. Now it's nice and clear and I'm ready to bottle, but I don't want to mix the priming sugar into the keg and disturb the sediment. Has anyone put the priming sugar right in the bottles? I usually use table sugar, and have calculated that I need 2.2g/bottle. I figure I'll measure out that amount in a bunch of small dixie cups or something and then pour it in before adding the beer. Will the sugar disolve into the beer and work to carbonate the bottles?

Any ideas?

I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Might be a bit of a pain in the arse but it's really no different than using those carbonation sugar drops that go right into the bottle.

Just be really careful how much you put into each bottle.

Yes, you can add priming sugar directly to the bottles. There is a thread here whereby people add a sugar cube to each bottle. I have primed larger liter swingtop bottles using the sugar packets one uses for coffee.

You can weigh the sugar, or might be easier with a measuring spoon, I think it is about a teaspoon / 12 oz bottle but can't quite recall.

Latest posts

Back