Putting beer back into fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timschram

Reaction score
So, I went through the whole process of bottling tonight and got to the point of actually capping only to realize I didn't have my capper. I'm thinking of just gently pouring everything back into a fermentation bucket with airlock and attacking it again in a few days.

A) do I have another option?
B) is this a waste of time?
C) will I need to add any yeast when bottling again?

Keep in mind, this was already mixed with priming sugar. (Please no lectures on making sure you have everything on hand before starting)

What vessel is it in now? Bottling bucket? Do you have a lid w/ airlock that you can store it in and check on gravity?

No need to add yeast, there is yeast present that will go after the priming sugar. This is why Id check on gravity over the next few days and see if it drops, as when you have your capper to bottle, you'll want to add priming sugar, but not make bombs.

Not a waste of time at this point. There is beer here dammit.

Hopefully more ppl will give advice. Just what comes of the top of my head right now.

It is in the bottles. Went from fermenter, to bottling bucket, to bottles. Then I realized no capper.

Put a sanitized cap on them, put them in a fridge to slow down fermentation, and then use the capper when you get your hands on it. Might be a bit English style in the carbonation department.

Someone copped your capper?

I don't see how you aren't going to oxidize the heck out of the beer when pouring it back but I don't see another option unless you have a nearby homebrew store that is open on Sundays.

Got a drill press? :)

Someone copped your capper?

I don't see how you aren't going to oxidize the heck out of the beer when pouring it back but I don't see another option unless you have a nearby homebrew store that is open on Sundays.

Got a drill press? :)

My brother can bring a capper over tomorrow. I might try placing the sanitized caps on them and getting them in a fridge

I don't know what you ended up doing, but I think I would sanitize some tinfoil and close up all the bottles with that and get a capper tomorrow somehow.

I don't know what you ended up doing, but I think I would sanitize some tinfoil and close up all the bottles with that and get a capper tomorrow somehow.

Still weighing my options! This is one of the options

Alright, opted to place sanitized caps on the bottles and place them in the fridge overnight. Fingers crossed. This is an imperial stout brewed in November that sat on bourbon barrel staves for 5 months. Would be sad if it went bad.

Alright, opted to place sanitized caps on the bottles and place them in the fridge overnight. Fingers crossed. This is an imperial stout brewed in November that sat on bourbon barrel staves for 5 months. Would be sad if it went bad.

I think this was your best alternative to a bad situation. "pouring" the bottles back in a bucket and rebottling them would have been a mistake. Getting them in the fridge should slow down yeast and reduce problems. Short of just getting a bottle capper from someone else faster... this was probably your best option. Reaching out to a home-brew store or home-brew club or other local home brewer to get a capper would maybe be a better option..... but short of that, this is probably your best strategy.

Don't forget to let us know how this all turned out!

Bottles it earlier today! If I don't have any explosions this week, I'll have an update around the end of august as that is when we pop the first 12 oz tester! Thanks for the help, everyone!

Don't forget to let us know how this all turned out!

Update: opened a 12 oz bottle yesterday just to test. It still needs some time in the bottle, but as far as any issues as a result of my missing capper, it's all good! And the beer is going to be really good in about 2 months!

Back