Putting a keg into a chest freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbycheetah

Reaction score
A little off topic, but hoping for some helpful input... I just filled my keg with 4.5 gal of tap water (softened) and put on 30 psi of c02. I want to put the keg in my chest freezer and can't keep the co2 connected, Anyone have any idea how long I can keep it in the freezer w/o worrying about it freezing? Just trying to help speed up the carbonation process. Basically wanted to have a keg of seltzer water on hand. Thx!

Carbonation actually happens faster at warmer temps, but it requires higher pressures to get the same level of carbonation. You can carbonate warm and then put it in the fridge. The level of carbonation won't change.

What level of carbonation are you looking for?

Brew on :mug:

Carbonation actually happens faster at warmer temps, but it requires higher pressures to get the same level of carbonation. You can carbonate warm and then put it in the fridge. The level of carbonation won't change.

What level of carbonation are you looking for?

Thanks for the reply. From the vids i've seen about making your own carb'd (seltzer) water, they used 30psi for carbonating. I'm hoping for just a typical kind of seltzer. I by the plain Kroger brand in cans. I add a squirt or 2 of Stur for flavoring b/c I don't drink any sugar sodas. It's nice when i have a craving for something fizzy. I'll keep it 30 in my basement at 66 deg and see how it is in 24 hours.

I don't have an answer to your question but I can definitively warn you about something. Any small places where water has remained, like in posts around poppets, could quickly freeze potentially causing damage. That's how granite rocks naturally crack in the weather, a bit of water isolated will freeze quickly while streams continue to run. I've seen garden hoses with liquid water still in them on a cold morning ruined because the water around the connectors froze and cracked the metal pieces
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, i'm not gonna do it. Will just let it carb in the basement, and see how it is in 24 hours.

Thanks for the reply. From the vids i've seen about making your own carb'd (seltzer) water, they used 30psi for carbonating. I'm hoping for just a typical kind of seltzer. I by the plain Kroger brand in cans. I add a squirt or 2 of Stur for flavoring b/c I don't drink any sugar sodas. It's nice when i have a craving for something fizzy. I'll keep it 30 in my basement at 66 deg and see how it is in 24 hours.
30 psi at 40°F (a typical refrigerator temp) would give you 4.2 volumes of carbonation. To get that level of carbonation at 66°F requires a pressure of 55-56 psi. You do need to purge the air from the headspace, or your effective CO2 pressure (partial pressure) will be about 15 psi too low, since the air will affect the gauge pressure. 5 pressurize and vent cycles at 15 psi will get enough of the air out so that it won't affect carb levels.

Back