Put yeast into cold cider? HELP!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oinyo

Reaction score
Hi guys. I just made a batch of cider and I am all ready to toss in the yeast. Problem is the cider is still pretty cold and I dont want to kill or hurt the yeast.

Is it safe to put the yeast into the bucket even though the liquid is cold or should i wait a hour or 2?

I have the lid lightly on the bucket but I also dont want a infection to start if I wait to long to put the yeast in.

Thx for the help,

Cool thank you. I hear to many horror stories of letting the brew sit to long before you put the yeast in then horrid infections happening.

I really want this one to work as the batch is costing over 50$ lol :p

This one is a labor of love and I have only fresh top grade apple cider and honey in it ;)

Ferments Saflager s-23

Characteristics: Genuin bottom fermenting commercial yeast. Sedimentation high. Final gravity: medium. Temperature range: 11-24C ( 51-75F) Ideally 11-15C (51-59F)

I got it because I wanted to try cold beer brewing like ice brewing and they told me this was the best for it.
The other other yeast i have is a Cooper one for guiness types and it is very unforgiving on the temp

Btw I bought a box of the stuff for only 200$ :p

After re-reading it damn. Thats a hell of a temp tang it gives ya

If you read CvillKevin's thread about cider to the end, you'll find that he ferments it in the low to mid 60's F. This gives it a good month to ferment and clarify. I've tried it with S-05 at around 75 F and it ferments in about 3-4 days at which point I needed to stop it by cold crashing if I didn't want it to be completely dry. Doing it this way, the cider does not clarify much at all.

I totally recommend reading CvilleKevin's thread. I learned a lot from it/him.

Back