push to connect fittings: SpikeBrewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pdaigle

Reaction score
I have a new Spike Brewing system and did a dry test last night and notice some leakage in some push to connect. Top valves doesn't bother me but the coil was also leaking so that one is important and I need to fix. Can someone help me please.

Cheers

Sorry about the issue! We would recommend trying to push the HERMS coil in further. Most the time the issue is that the coil is not fully seated. It is recommended to use a little water to help lubricator the seals.

I fixed the coil but top valve is still leaking even after swapping the push tube

Curious to know if you got this fixed. I purchased some Spike equipment back in late 2015 and only recently got around to installing it (decided to build a nicer basement brewery than I originally planned), and I too am having issues with the HERMS push fittings. I did a dry run and noticed a leak inside at one of the coil fittings (which would mean my wort would be leaking into the HLT water, so it's kind of critical to have a leak-free connection there). In my case, the end of the HERMS coil (also from Spike) had a rough, crooked cut (see pic where I'm holding the end that was originally on the coil) and I think that was a factor, but even after cutting off the end clean it still leaks. When I tried pushing the coil further into the fitting, the fitting broke into pieces (they're designed similar to sharkbite fittings for those unfamiliar). Thinking of maybe going with compression fittings to avoid this problem, as it seems like a weak link in the system. Aside from this issue with the coil and the fittings, everything else I've gotten from Spike has been AWESOME.
I recently bought a dip tube kit from Spike that has a different kind of push fitting that is just a sleeve with an o-ring, and it seems to work well. Wonder if that type would work for the HERMS? Have they perhaps changed their design since my original purchase? The original dip tube I purchased from them for the mashtun is the same sharkbite-type that the HERMS uses, but I haven't had issues with that one yet.

IMG_4194.jpg

IMG_4196.jpg

I think I just pushed it deep and it worked but I had issues with my last brew, had a small leak.

Back