Punk Rock and Hardcore

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweet. What band?

The first video was summer of '07. I was playing drums.

The second video was the same festival, but the last song I ever did for that band until summer of 2013 which is when I did one tour with them. I was on vocals for that one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seen nofx live several times and anti flag twice. Never saw guttermouth. I'm a fan though. Flogging Molly twice. I'm of Irish descent so it fits.

I didn't read all hundred fifty plus pages of this thread, but how many punk musicians do we have here?

I'm a drummer. Influenced by mostly punk music as a teen. I've been playing since I was twelve. 31 now. Played in several garage bands. Recorded a couple albums in my younger years. Nothing you've heard of or can find.

Nowadays you'll find me listening to bluegrass more than punk but it never dies.

Not playing with anyone currently but putting out some feelers for a red dirt punk crossover project.

Really need to get back into it before I get to old and lose it. Drinking HB stout. Wait. What thread were we in?

we can never forget RANCID hello Tim Armstrong is a genius IMO ,and SOCIAL D!!! I love all genre of music especially the alternative to alternative I have seen Primus at least 15 times I followed them all over the bay area in the 80s when punk and metal were in their prime I saw primus open up for testament and I fell in love! Im also a drummer played many gigs with many different bands, country to hard core. Im 44 and still progressive with my music I have been checking out all the artist I on the sub noise label Big B, Hed PE,KMK ect still go to a show just to mosh!

Long live punk and hard core!!

holy crap I can't believe I haven't seen this thread before. I play the Op Ivy pandora station at my shop all day, it's awesome how many homebrewers come in and recognize the bands on it and rock out while I get their grain ready

holy crap I can't believe I haven't seen this thread before. I play the Op Ivy pandora station at my shop all day, it's awesome how many homebrewers come in and recognize the bands on it and rock out while I get their grain ready

Not since they redid the place, but myLHBS used to have Dead Kennedys on from time to time when i walked in.

we can never forget RANCID hello Tim Armstrong is a genius IMO ,and SOCIAL D!!! I love all genre of music especially the alternative to alternative I have seen Primus at least 15 times I followed them all over the bay area in the 80s when punk and metal were in their prime I saw primus open up for testament and I fell in love! Im also a drummer played many gigs with many different bands, country to hard core. Im 44 and still progressive with my music I have been checking out all the artist I on the sub noise label Big B, Hed PE,KMK ect still go to a show just to mosh!

Long live punk and hard core!!

Yup Lint's the man. Love me some Rancid and Op Ivy.

I'd put money on the correlation being the DIY lifestyle of people who are drawn to punk in the first place. Hell, I don't really go to shows anymore, but for the most part I hate paying someone to do something that I can do myself.

I'd put money on the correlation being the DIY lifestyle of people who are drawn to punk in the first place. Hell, I don't really go to shows anymore, but for the most part I hate paying someone to do something that I can do myself.

That makes a lot of sense to me

That's funny. I'm the same way. The only repair I've ever paid for was a roof replacement. I paid for it because I'd done it before, and there was no way I was going to go through that hell again.

Every time I'm working on a DIY project, or brewing, I have to have my Dead Kennedys Pandora station blasting in the garage. It drives my wife nuts, but I can't work without it.

I think you guys are on to something. I'm too stubborn to let anybody do anything for me. Punk and hardcore seem to speak to that mentality.

Glad to see this thread. I'm more into metal now, but grew up on punk around here. Buddie's brother got me into Descendents, which turned into all. Brother hooked me upwith Waiting Room by Fugazi and I was hooked. Saw Fugazi consecutive nights at First Avenue around 95. Have seen Descndents twice and All! three times. Best punk concert was Warped Tour 97. Penny wise, Less than Jake, Descendents(with Milo), Social Distortion, Mighty Btones, and others I forget.

Glad to see this thread. I'm more into metal now, but grew up on punk around here. Buddie's brother got me into Descendents, which turned into all. Brother hooked me upwith Waiting Room by Fugazi and I was hooked. Saw Fugazi consecutive nights at First Avenue around 95. Have seen Descndents twice and All! three times. Best punk concert was Warped Tour 97. Penny wise, Less than Jake, Descendents(with Milo), Social Distortion, Mighty Btones, and others I forget.

Guess I forgot a couple big ones. Blink 182, Limp Bizkit, Sugar Ray, Sick of it All, hed(pe), Lagwagon

So do we have any TRUE BELIEVERS in the group?????

Disc_Head_Guy.jpg

I'm from West River, Crapid City. one of my favorite shows there was Peter and the Test Tube Babies. the venue was an old pool hall owned by a skeeze that also owned a decaying 18+ strip joint. the owner upped the rental fee at the last minute. the guy setting it all up stole the key and made a copy. we had a donation only show, trashed the place, and my roommate and I hung out with Peter downtown after the show. I've been told, "You're destroying your own scene." that's fine. I don't want to be part of a scene that blindly plays nice and smiles while venue owners bend us over just so we all have a nice place to play. I'd rather go to a show in someones basement, living room, the Black Hills Forrest, Sunrise Mountain, abandoned house, etc.

Been rockin out to random Irish punk on YouTube while brewing today. I dug this picture out of a box at my parents last weekend. Me and my friend at a show when I was sixteen. I look nothing like this anymore. If not for the tattoos, I look fairly respectable. Kids..

Scan0017-1.jpg

I got kicked out of a back yard show in Vegas for telling a joke once.

some friends of mine wanted to go to some "Riot Girl's" back yard show.these girls were not real Riot Girls. they were candy kids that wrote a horribly put together 'zine and shouted crap like, "GIRL POWER!" and "All men are pigs!" found out after we got there that it was so they could scope out a "rival crew", Rogue Shire. anyhow, Resist and Exist came out from CA and was the big attraction. I heckled the flocc out of them. Jay Lee, or whatever that floccers name was, kept saying, "I don't know about out here, but in California..." it told them to go back to CA and that we didn't want them in NV. I can't remember if I was drinking Maudite or la Fin du Monde, but it was hot out. when the cops showed up (inevitable), one of the fresh cuts in our circle turned to the only black kid there and said, "Quick! Shake my hand so they don't think I'm racist!" Avery looked at his outstretched hand and said, "Pssshhhh." as he walked away. the cops told everyone to keep it down a little and left with an underage drunk run away in-tow. the whole time I was mocking bands, I would hear laughter and/or the encouraging, "Yeeeaaahhh!" from somewhere behind me. I had taken to getting on the mic between bands and telling jokes. I may have been drinking Newcastle as well. Old Jerry from Rogue Shire sat in the back in a pole shed gripping a plastic knife waiting for one of my friends (The United) to start s#!t. RS had us outnumbered and out powered, yet he cowered in the back with his fragile plastic. there was a new guy in their group. he was big. 1/2 Samoan 1/2 Norwegian (as I found out later) kind of big. but everyone's big when you're 5'7" and 125 lbs. so it was between bands again, I was perhaps a bit tipsy, and my new found public needed entertained. I stepped up to the mic and said, "How many Riot Girls does it take to change a light bulb? Four. One to do it and the other three to write a 'zine about it." they kicked me out. but RS invited us to a party to bury the hatchet and I almost got jumped on account of my anti-swastika tattoo. all anyone saw was the swastika and not the big red circle with the big red line through it. I ended up hanging with Rogue Shire a lot more than The United. the tension never went away and eventually lead to the all out brawl during The Slackers at The Sanctuary.

ah my daughter came over today and had to have me dig out a cd she bought me when she was about 12 years old...ah the memories...

Last edited by a moderator:
Germ's Garage: when Muskrat was living with me & Preston (flocced up home situation), we hung out in Germ's garage. Germ, Preston and I cleaned out the garage and Germ started living in it. Germ's place was right inside the Las Vegas/Henderson border, Vegas side. we used to get all sorts of flocced up and watch cheesy horror movies way too loud, listen to street punk way too loud, and have redonkulous contests way too loud. one of the competitions was Punk Rock Jousting. we found a pair of roller blades (or "fruit boots" if you will) and a bunch of PVC pipe. each person jousting got 1 fruit boot and a jousting stick. it really helped if you were drunk. and damn my fancy tastes, I was drinking some kinda fancy beer I made or La Fin du Monde/Maudite when I could buy it. Muskrat and some flocctard got all hammered up and dipped their berries in white house paint and slapped them against a brick wall to see who could make the biggest splatter mark. me, Preston, Muskrat, Germ, Emo Joe, Trent, and ol' floccface bizznitchweasel (not his nickname) had a band. all our shows were in Germ's garage. me, Preston, Muskrat, and Germ were vocals. we all had our own style, except Preston and I. I wasn't even supposed to be in the band, but I think I told that story before. Grem's dad raised dessert sheep (he's Arabic and said it was the only meat that he eats). he was the kind of fella that used every last bit he could. sheeps head stew was a real thing. I was the only one brave enough (besides Germ) to eat any/all the odd bits. I've had pancreas, liver, kidney, brains, and butterflied grilled testicle. Germ's dad encouraged me to bring home brews after he butchered. I did not want to be thewre for that after helping my grandpa butcher a hog once. Germs dad said home brew "is good with the meat". these are the only pictures I have from any showsn in Germ's garage. Preston is the big guy.

Butchers.jpg

Picture 065.jpg

Picture 066.jpg

Sitting out the Bad Religion show tonight. Too broke for punk rock. There's a pound of hops and 15 lbs. of malt to blame. Oh well, Gradfin showed up last night dressed as my Lord and Saviour. Might have been a tough one for me.

Pig Pen: I met this guy in a bar in Rapid City, SD. he come walking into our bar looking like 10 shades of a bone head (in my mind at the time). Willis talked him up and introduced us. we spent all night slamming pitchers of PBR and Dead Nazi Shots. my stomach turns right now just thinking about that. good floccin lord! he was not a bone head, nor a SHARP. we got along great, but I was still very cautious of new people at this point. Preston invited him to a BBQ at his place. I brought some home brews. I'm pretty sure I was trying to clone McEwen's Export at the time. I never did get it nailed down. Preston and I were brothers in Vegas. I took him in and stood up for him when his best friend let him down. he was unnecessarily jealous how well Pig Pen and I got along. never should have been. a brother is a brother and should be to all the rest of my brothewrs. OFD Al is a great example. Pig Pen wasn't sure if he was punk, skinhead, or rock-a-billy. one thing he was was violent, opinionated, and always looking for a good time. over the years we raided frat houses, started fights in all the wrong places, fist fought each other over redonkulous arguments, got kicked out of almost every bar in Rapid City, and bonded better than family (just like Preston and OFD Al). I even named my first born after him. he once showed a lesbian his butt hole (no joke) and yelled, "Look at it! It's a clean ass!" we even got matching-ish tattoos. this was from my wedding day (I'm wearing bleachers) and some other days.

2 of a kind.jpg

P1030586.jpg

Picture 009.jpg

Picture 051.jpg

OFD Al: none go back further than he. I met him in 7th grade. he was just one of those poeple. if you ever met one, you know. we were in reading class together. one day I turned to him (I still don't know why) and said, " Would you care to dine with me?". we bs'ed about all sorts of stuff. at the end of 7th grade, I moved to my dad's in Montana. I moved back before the end of my 8th grade year. we hung out a bit in High School. after I got kicked out of HS, we lost touch. I ended up moving to Vegas and going through hell (the after math of the murder of Dan and Spit). I moved back to Rapid City two years later. I had an aprtment for 6 months. my gf left, my roommate Mike went bak to Vegas, and Preston moved in with some other guys. I found a cheap place that was part of a house for rent. my brutha Bob was helping me move in when I saw Al come out of the house. turned out he lived in the other side of the house. he'd been in the Marines and just moved back. he found skinhead in the Corps. talked a ton about Chapel Hill Skins. and like Pig Pen, we got in too many fights and kicked out of too many places. I was working in the steel yard at the time. my boss and friend Kodi used to talk about these guys in 'Nam called the Old Foul Dudes. the first LRRPs to run sweeps. rugged as hell and twice as mean. me, Al, and Pig Pen thought that was us to the letter. we were the OFD.

Wedding 019.jpg

Picture 029.jpg

Picture 034.jpg

Back