Pumps...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutarecord

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Getting shopping lists together for my all grain set up... I'd prefer to pump from my mash tun and boiler just to keep from having to build elevated surfaces to gravity drain. My question is about what spec i need to look for in a pump. I think i could prob find one for cheaper than 130 from some of the brew supply web sites..

I know i need to look for one that works at high temps but i dont know much else. What other spec should i be looking for? Any of you guys have cheaper options?

Thanks mates!

Go for the march pumps, they work great. Look at my Rims set up, or search the site as there are many options available for you, depending on your needs. When I built mine, I decided on a two tier system, as I could not justify the cost for the second pump at the time. BUT, if you are purchasing materials for the frame of your rig, the added costs of the materials needed for the additional tiers may offset the cost of the additional cost of the pump. Or at least justify it.

yeah i think i would rather not have a tiered system so I could save for a few weeks and get a second pump and keep my rig flat. I should only need two pumps correct? One from the boil tank to mash tun. One from the mash tun to the kettle... Correct?

I use one March pump for my single tier RIMs. I use silicone hoses with quick disconnects to move the beer around. Two pumps would involve less moving of hoses, but once you have a routine down, I can't see how it will make it faster. You just have to make sure the hoses are long enough and your pump is mounted strategically. Old picture of the rig, it now has wheels and a water filtration system.

new set up.jpg

This is my rig, there are many like it, but this one is mine. Two pumps, hard piped. I guess you dont really need two pumps for a single tier, but to avoid connecting and disconnecting repeatedly for the 45 minute sparge and transfer, you need two pumps.

What ever pump you decide to go with, just make sure they work at the temps you will be transfering and make sure the materials are food grade. The pump may not have a certification...but it doesnt mean its not food safe. Call the Mfg and ask them direct. Also spec the pump to be able to pump enough liquid at what ever the highest point you will be pushing it to. So for instance, lets just say you want to be able to fill your 10gal kettle that you have sitting on top of a 6' ladder. The kettle is 24" tall and you have you hose going over the top....you have a total of 8' of head height (assuming the pump is sitting on the ground) And you want to be able to fill that kettle in under 1 minute. You you woudl need to find a pump that can do 10gpm at that 8' of head height.

What most people dont understand when it comes to certifications is that its usually nailed down for one specific application. In our case if we went and got an NSF or FDA certification it would only be for water...then as soo as anyone puts anything else through it that cert would be void. By having all the materials food grade we dont need to get a certification, but the person thats putting their system together will go get the entire rig certified and we have yet to have anyone not get it due to our pumps. :)

Back