pumpking ale question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adding pumpkin at bottling would not fix the issue. You could add more spices, if that's what you're talking about. If you taste enough spices but no pumpkin - that's expected, as the taste the pumpkin adds itself is actually quite negligible. It's very mild.

I did not use Yuri's recipe, but I put some vanilla, pumpkin pie spice, and nutmeg in my secondary. I did put spices in the boil also but I had so much settle in the primary. Mine has a great smell and a hint of the spice flavor.

I recently read an article from a Beer "newspaper" I picked up from my LHBS. The artice was a discussion on Pumpkin ale. Which the brewmaster basically came out and said that Pumpkin ale has no actual "pumpkin" flavor. It's basically nothing more then a spiced/sweeter ale, the sugars from the pumpkin get fremented and leave no residual pumpkin flavor. He went on to say that ale with an Actual pumpkin taste(all mentioned where commercial) had added "pumpkin oil". I'll look for the Art tonight and see if I can scan it in and post it. IMO allot of great information. I have to say my first pumpkin ale was a AHS kit but I could have sworn I tasted some pumpkin in it.

I add my pumpkin during the boil. Yes, you get more crap in the fermenter, and yield suffers, but the flavor is outstanding.

There was another thread here a while back talking about pumpkin ale, and that the spices you add are important, to get the 'pumpkin pie' flavour.

You can pie pumpkin pie spice at the grocery store. I added pumpkin to my boil, but also put pie spice in at flameout.

I just tasted one of my pumpkin ales after letting it sit for about a month and the flavor came out great. I used the extract kit from NB and the only thing that was added to make this a "pumpkin beer" was a small packet of pumpkin spice at flame out (I think it was about an ounce). When I tasted it right before bottling, the spice hardly came through. Now, after letting the flavors settle out a bit it the pumpkin spice flavor comes through very nicely with a sweet malty balance. I will definitely be drinking a lot of it for Thanksgiving tomorrow :)

My Pumpkin Ale came out pretty well. I cut up a decent size pumpkin and baked it for about an hour. After that I added it to my muslin bag with my steeping grains. I actually steeped this for a little longer than usual. At knockout I added some pumpkin spice. The pumpkin flavor is mild but it is clearly there. Like someone else had mentioned, its definitely sweeter and yield is low.

Yup, bake the pumpkin, steep it with grains... heck, I even added it to my boil for a while. Add the spices near the end of the boil. (I added mine at about 10 min). I removed the pumpkin prior to adding spices so the spices didn't get caught up in the grain bag I used to hold the pumpkin pieces. However, the hops got caught up in the pumpkin; made the best darned pumpkin pie I ever tasted!

Latest posts

Back