Pumpkin wheat ag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madsciontst

Reaction score
I'm looking for a fairly easier pumpkin wheat all grain for my first all gran brew. i have found Yuri's thunderstruck but there are so many more. Any advice on which one?

I dont have amy advice for a pumpkin wheat, but keep in mind if you mash the pumpkin you will want a ton of rice hulls. I used a full pound for my last wheat. The wheat made up about 5 lbs of my grist iirc.

What method of mashing are you doing? Cooler or biab?

I made a pumpkin wheat last year but it was an extract brew. Use butternut squash and you'll get a better pumpkin flavor. Be sure to cook it in the oven first.

I was going to add the pumpkin to the boil. Per the recipe. Which is called punkelweizen,I found it on here.

I have made two pumpkin ales, one last year and one just last night in fact. I boiled the pumpkin purée in a heavy duty mesh bag used for wine making I think. I had great pumpkin flavor. Last years recipe may have been thunderstrucks but not sure.

Also I listened to a podcast from the beer smith website. One of the guests mentioned to boil the purée as opposed to mashing it. I'll try to find it and post.

Punkilweizen sounds like it would be awesome. BTW Costco has organic pumpkin purée for $8.00. There are six 15oz cans. I used all of them. Can't wait to try this years pumpkin ale.

Good luck man.

The recipe calls for 20oz of pumpkin but I think I'm going to 40. And the bag sounds like a great idea.

Back