Pumpkin tap handle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragonlor20

Reaction score
There are a few pumpkin taps out there to buy, and they are actually pretty cool, but there seems to be tons and tons of them made, so I decided to make my own :) sharing...

image_zps322b35e9.jpg

image_zps37ee3530.jpg

image_zps56860f6c.jpg

image_zps274d2e45.jpg

Not bad for a Dremel and a jig saw I think... The handle will get an ebony stain as will the pumpkin stem. The pumpkin will get orange spray paint and after the paint dries, the reliefs will get black paint.

Update:

image_zpse2a48a41.jpg

image_zps4eb10236.jpg

I had to hit the pumpkin again with paint because it got a little ebony on it, but otherwise, I will repaint the reliefs and the last step will be the poly!

Recoated and repainted:

image_zpseb7728b0.jpg

Already drilled and getting poly coated:

image_zpse1afd48c.jpg

Final Update:

Mounted:

image_zpsd5b73334.jpg

you should have bought one

It's ok to laugh. I laughed too. I'm not an expert wood worker, but it's not done yet. The handle will get stained. The pumpkin will get painted and all of it will get coats of poly.

The beer was great either way. Brewed the double batchc featured in the byo out of your gourde edition. Maybe it was zymergy...

Looks good all things considered! Sounds like you've got the right attitude also. ;)

Don't worry, if some popular microbrewery came out with a tap handle that looked like that people would be all over it and trying to get one. It's unique and that's what counts!

you should have bought one

Coming from one of the most illegitimate CA "people" that have ever lived here. A damn GB fan living in CA......that's almost like the devil loving the bible.

I love your DIY dude. Stain it with sacrificed orange guts too. Make it even oranger. :)

Final update. I updated the pictures with the final product - I think it came out pretty well!

And for anyone interested, that big block of wood it is standing on during the poly coat phase is the scrap wood that it came from :)

I'm a fan of the finished product. The color really helped.

This.... just looks like phallic though ... especially the perspective...
image_zpse2a48a41.jpg

I'm a fan of the finished product. The color really helped.

This.... just looks like phallic though ... especially the perspective...
image_zpse2a48a41.jpg

I can't argue with you, at some point in production, tap handles are phallic - and if you are lucky, the small action of pulling a tap handle may eventually have a butterfly effect that leads to the use of a phallus.:ban:

Back