Pumpkin Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shifty11

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to take a crack at a pumpkin saison today. This recipe I'm going to use.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/mashing-pumpkins-spiced-saison/

My main question is about the Libby's 100% Pumpkin... I've read several other pumpkin beer recipes that use real pumpkin and they call for cutting the pumpkin into chunks and then baking the chunks for an hour at 350. In this case it's a can of processed pumpkin for making a pie, but only says to add it to the mash; nothing about baking it first. Do I...
1) need to bake it?
2) when adding it to the grain I'll need to mix it at all pretty well first, yeah?

Any tips, pointers, or techniques would be appreciated!!

Cheers,

Shifty

1. I would bake it unless the label on the can specifically indicates it has already been cooked. Roasting it also brings out a little more flavor.
2. Yes, you want it mixed well in your mash. I also would recommend using some rice hulls (which do not add any flavor) to help prevent a stuck mash.

Back