Pumpkin Pie Spice Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TattooedViking9

The Viking Vintner
Reaction score
1 Cinnamon stick
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3# Clover Honey
1oz raisins
Water to a gallon
Premier Cuvee wine yeast

We'll see how it progresses :mug:

10539_3670151524270_1840621051_n.jpg

Nice, I'm going to have to give this a try. Do you think it matters whether you use a cinnamon stick or ground cinnamon? I have ground cinnamon but no cinnamon sticks.

Nice, I'm going to have to give this a try. Do you think it matters whether you use a cinnamon stick or ground cinnamon? I have ground cinnamon but no cinnamon sticks.

I used 1/8 tsp of clove instead of whole clove. I'm not too strict when I first try a batch, as long as I keep very precise records. lol I would HATE to end up with a winner and have no idea how to recreate it. :D

And also, not sure if you know this or not, but most food stores have cinnamon sticks packaged for sale in a mexican spice section. These are generally half the price of the name brand ones. I'm cheap, what can i say! lol

:off:
I'm also getting ready to start a 5 gallon batch of Skeeter Pee. Pretty excited about the prospect of an easily sustained supply of beverage.

I have a similar going but added 1 cup of pumpkin pie filling to it. It's only been 3 weeks, but so far it's acting like it should.

porcupine73 said:
Do you think it matters whether you use a cinnamon stick or ground cinnamon? I have ground cinnamon but no cinnamon sticks.

Ground cinnamon will have more carbs than the stick. You can see this if you make a strong hot tea of each. The ground cinnamon will be a little glumpy and sweet, while the stick will be fluid and not as sweet. That's merely because the ground herb has more surface area.

By the way, stick cinnamon is awesome in high proof alcohol. An everclear extraction (tincture) of cheap Indian-market bulk packed cinnamon yielded a gorgeous red color and slightly sweet and astringent yumminess. I may try that in a mead...

Looks promising!

I just made a similar spiced cyser, myself; probably more like taishojojo's. The differences in mine were that: 1) I used half your amount of ground cloves and replaced that half with allspice, 2) I had 4 cups of 1/2" baked pumpkin cubes in the primary, 3) I used 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, and 4) the big one - I added the spices in at secondary as part of a "tea": the spices steeped for 15 min. in a 1/4 cup of freshly-boiled water.

A few different variables, but I'm still interested as to how your batch turns out. I don't think the pumpkin will play a huge role... a slight vegetal flavor, at best. I'm most curious about how the timed addition of spices and steeping/direct addition of spices play out in the flavor profiles.

Good luck and happy brewing! I'll be tuning in now and then to see what's good.

I have a similar going but added 1 cup of pumpkin pie filling to it. It's only been 3 weeks, but so far it's acting like it should.
Unfortunately, I doubt you'll be able to taste much pumkpin--it's a very subtle flavor that's easily overpowered by the spices.

Unfortunately, I doubt you'll be able to taste much pumkpin--it's a very subtle flavor that's easily overpowered by the spices.

That is exactly the reason I chose to omit the pumpkin. I have read on MANY posts here that the spices are what is recognized as "pumpkin pie" flavor anyway. I have had wines from pumpkin, and they are delicious. But I wanted the subtlety of the honey to shine above the spice. I might have failed in doing so, as I tasted it when I racked it. The spices are prominent, but I hope with about 12 months age they will mellow and blend quite nicely.:ban:

:mug: CHEERS

That is exactly the reason I chose to omit the pumpkin. I have read on MANY posts here that the spices are what is recognized as "pumpkin pie" flavor anyway. I have had wines from pumpkin, and they are delicious. But I wanted the subtlety of the honey to shine above the spice. I might have failed in doing so, as I tasted it when I racked it. The spices are prominent, but I hope with about 12 months age they will mellow and blend quite nicely.:ban:

:mug: CHEERS
how did this turn out. was thinking of making it

Back