pumpkin - might have messed up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bierzwinski

Reaction score
Tis the season for the pumpkin ale... so thought i would give it a try.

I used canned pumpkin which might have been a big mistake.

poured into my carboy... and there is about 6" of goop on the bottom...

I'm wondering how i am going to syphon or what is going to happen when i do?? Obviously, I don't want an inch of goop at the bottom of my bottles.

Any thoughts anyone?

thx

I did a 10g batch of pumpkin with canned pumpkin, and one of the carboys had about 3", the other one had closer to 8"+ of trub...I just siphoned into a secondary to get it off the trub and let it clear, then bottled a week or two later from that carboy. You can cold crash it also, to get the sediment to compact at the bottom. I suppose you could also use a nylon bag over the siphon, which I didn't do for my pumpkin, but I did recently with another batch that had quite a bit of floaties after siphoning into my bottling bucket(without the nylon).

I'm still waiting for the beer itself to mellow out, as its still really green, even after 5 weeks in the bottle, but that's another story :) Remember, hose water is a "no-no"! haha

Hey Chapa,

thanks. good ideas. I was wondering if it would compact more... I mean it has to i guess. I was really surprised when i saw how much was in there... and worried.

Alright, I'll try one of those ideas.

Latest posts

Back