Pumpkin Canned - Mash Grist Ratio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonestar

Reaction score
Any tips on mashing with canned pumpkin and how to adjust grist ratio if needed? Also how does it effect mash pH?

I typically add 55-60 oz of canned pumpkin puree to my pumpkin ales. I don't adjust the grain bill at all, as the pumpkin does not add any appreciable amount of fermentables. I have also never worried about mash pH. According to a Google search, cooked pumpkin meat (canned pumpkin is already cooked) typically has a pH of 4.8-5.2, so it would only help with proper mash pH.

Good luck!

Just use a couple pounds of rice hulls to prevent stuck sparge. I used 3 lbs canned for 5 gal batch and added that 3 lbs to my grain/water ratio. Can't say about the ph tho.

Rice hulls are a must. Slight stuck sparge but pretty minor and preventable. pH was not really effected by the pumpkin in this particular brew. Wort tasted awesome.

Thanks for the replys.

Back