Pumpkin braggot question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walshy87

Reaction score
I've never tried a braggot, but I have been very interested. Last night after I racked my apple cinnamon mead to secondary while drinking a pumpkin ale, I decided to mix the rest of my beer with my mead sample... It was AMAZING!

I've been looking for a few recipes for a braggot, but now I'm considering just doing a blend. Since ill be brewing a pumpkin ale in a few weeks I'm thinking about doing a one gallon pumpkin pie mead and than blend them before I bottle. Has anyone tried this?

I didn't have a plan for a recipe, I was just going dump a can of organic pumpkin puree into the must. lol. Nutmeg sounded nice but my understanding is that it is toxic to yeast and will kill them. Maybe at bottling time. Cinnamon would be nice too. Not too sure of its effects on the yeasties.

I did a spiced pumpkin mead this year and learned a LOT about pumpkin and how it works fermented. I have tweeked my recipe from what I have learned to improve the flavor profile for the next time I try it. I have also worked with bragotts and learned a lot there. I don't think it would be difficult or unwise to add the bragott type flavors/techniques to my pumpkin mead recipe. Take this with a grain of salt but here is my recipe/methods for my pumpkin mead with the bragott twist added.

Spiced Pumpkin Bragott variant

1 gallon recipe

2 lb honey
1 lb Bries Sparkling amber LME
15oz pumpkin puree or 1 ¾ cups of fresh shredded pumpkin from pie pumpkins
7/8 cup of cooked and mashed sweet potato (Just half as much pumpkin)
3 tea bags of stash premium Chai spiced tea
½ oz of cascade hops
½ tsp of ginger
½ tsp allspice
1 clove
½ cinnamon stick
1tsp of yeast nutrients
Yeast (Nottingham)

Take 1 gallon of water and bring to a boil. Add in LME and ¼ oz of hops. The hops should be in nylon bags. Boil this for 45 min. Add in 1 cup of hot water, last of the hops, Tea bags and spices. Do not add spices to bags, let them roam free. Boil that for 15 minutes. Pour liquid over Pumpkin, sweet potato & honey in carboy but only half way. Make sure to remove tea bags and bags of hops but leave the spices. Shake the carboy a lot because boiling water removes oxygen and the yeast will need that. Add yeast nutrients and top off the carboy, mix well again and then let it rest until at room temp. Rehydrate and pitch yeast.

When the time comes for more brewing I may do two batches one of them as the bragott above and the other as the normal mead recipe to compair the two. Hope you have fun with your endevors.

The first time I did the pumpkin mead it had no sweet potato and I have to say it was really weak on the pumpkin taste. Lots of people say that the sweet potato really rounds out the flavor and keeps it tasting pumpkiny.

What about blending a pumpkin ale with a pumpkin mead before bottling? I was thinking about stealing a gallon from my soon to come pumpkin ale and mix it with a gallon of mead just to see how it come out. Maybe I'll do a gallon of your recipe too.

Arpolis said:
I did a spiced pumpkin mead this year and learned a LOT about pumpkin and how it works fermented. I have tweeked my recipe from what I have learned to improve the flavor profile for the next time I try it. I have also worked with bragotts and learned a lot there. I don't think it would be difficult or unwise to add the bragott type flavors/techniques to my pumpkin mead recipe. Take this with a grain of salt but here is my recipe/methods for my pumpkin mead with the bragott twist added.

Spiced Pumpkin Bragott variant

1 gallon recipe

2 lb honey
1 lb Bries Sparkling amber LME
15oz pumpkin puree or 1 ¾ cups of fresh shredded pumpkin from pie pumpkins
7/8 cup of cooked and mashed sweet potato (Just half as much pumpkin)
3 tea bags of stash premium Chai spiced tea
½ oz of cascade hops
½ tsp of ginger
½ tsp allspice
1 clove
½ cinnamon stick
1tsp of yeast nutrients
Yeast (Nottingham)

Take 1 gallon of water and bring to a boil. Add in LME and ¼ oz of hops. The hops should be in nylon bags. Boil this for 45 min. Add in 1 cup of hot water, last of the hops, Tea bags and spices. Do not add spices to bags, let them roam free. Boil that for 15 minutes. Pour liquid over Pumpkin, sweet potato & honey in carboy but only half way. Make sure to remove tea bags and bags of hops but leave the spices. Shake the carboy a lot because boiling water removes oxygen and the yeast will need that. Add yeast nutrients and top off the carboy, mix well again and then let it rest until at room temp. Rehydrate and pitch yeast.

When the time comes for more brewing I may do two batches one of them as the bragott above and the other as the normal mead recipe to compair the two. Hope you have fun with your endevors.

How long till this is drinkable?

How long till this is drinkable?

This recipe is version 2.0 of my original Pumpkin mead recipe. The only difference is the sweet potato, beer ingredients & I upped the spices a little. I originally made that mead on 04/13/2012 & tasted it 06/21/2012 and it had a bit of alcohol bite to it but not bad. Tasted it again 09/06 & tonight and next to no alcohol bite. I was just disappointed in the flavor being to subtle but still very drinkable now and would have called it "drinkable" on 06/21. This recipe is not tested but from my experience would say the "drinkability" would be on par if not just more enjoyable as its predecessor.

What about blending a pumpkin ale with a pumpkin mead before bottling? I was thinking about stealing a gallon from my soon to come pumpkin ale and mix it with a gallon of mead just to see how it come out. Maybe I'll do a gallon of your recipe too.

To be honest I bet mixing would be great. Make up two recipes you know works and that you like the flavors and mix. But in my opinion... (Regardless what history and facts say)... I would not consider that a true bragott. Just my 2 cents

Back