Pumpkin beer OG issue..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaindriven

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I made my second batch of beer tonight and it was a 5 gallon pumpkin clone.. I thought I did everything right, seeped everything for 30 min, got the boil, added the buttering hops, spices and aroma hops as it calls out out for.. But once I pitched my yeast it checked the SG reading and the recipe states it's supposed to have an estimated SG of 1.048-1.051.. I got around 1.030-1.029.... Am I good...? What will a lower SG mean for my beer..??

It sounds like an extract batch from what you said. If so, and you added all the extract to the correct pint of water, your OG should be pretty spot on. It is actually difficult to get the extract to mix well, so you get falsely low readings. I wouldn't worry. Just use the kit predicted OG. Your yeast WILL find the sugar...it's what they do.

If you are concerned that the kit is incorrect, post the ingredients and water volume and we should be able to tell you what the OG is.

Ok thanks for the info, I'm pretty certain the kit is right and that's why I was worried about the low numbers..

Back