Pumpkin ale with pale grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew_4iT

Reaction score
I want to make a pumpkin ale but the grains i currently have are typically for a pale style beer. So it probably won't have the maltiness typical pumpkin ales would have. But should it be fine? I also don't have German hops, I was thinking just a little centennial since that is what I currently have like just use enough for 20 ibus or so.

The pumpkin may be emphasized with the pale malt. I think it would be fine with some crystal malt. you have munich? alot of pales have munich. With centeniall i wouldnt get more than 15 ibus and if you have something else like willamette or something use that instead.I think citrus may clash with pumpkin.You only need a small amount of hops usually in pumpkin anyway.

Well whatever I'll try it, I don't have munich. But I do have crystal 40L, not much I believe 1/4 to a half pound. Atleast the pumpkin will be noticeable over the malts, I have 2 can 15 oz organic pumpkin, 1 spaghetti squash, 2 acorn squashes and a butternut squash.

My recommendation would be not to overspice it then. Ive tried pumpkin beers like these in the lower abv range.They taste like cola with too much spice. Im convinced that higher abv beers with pumpkin are the way to go also if you have and like an english type yeast, the yeast type is as important to what your going for. I think a scottish,octoberfest,amber type beer suits pumpkin pretty well. I would go for all of your crystal 40 and if you have a medium attenuating estery english yeast would work well.Maltiness is in the yeast too so an octoberfest type yeast or something would give you malty even with the pale and 40.

Back