pumpkin ale, to add or not to add Pumpkin?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tilldeath

Reaction score
So I’ve done some research and from what I’ve found I think I’m going to go with AHS pumpkin ale kit. My question is I really want it to taste similar to pumpkin pie and to my understanding real pumpkin really doesn’t impart any real flavor to the beer unless used in huge quantities and even then not so much. So I’ll be pumping up the spices in my kit but I want to know what spices I should be caucious about overdoing. Also I know I can buy a spice pack from AHS but I con't know if doubling the spices would be overkill or not. Nutmeg, mace, orange peel and cinnamon are in the ingredients listed, here’s the link for the rest. http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=10886

P.S. Forest if you're out there help!!!!! :mug:

Just brewed that one. I used 45 oz of organic canned pumpkin and added some more cinnamon and plan on adding a hint of vanilla to the secondary or bottles. We'll see how that all turns out, but I would definitely add the pumpkin if you can find it. Then you can truly call it a Pumpkin Ale ;)

Just brewed that one and added 4 lbs of canned pumpkin. Yesterday I transfered over to my secondary and took a sample for hydrometer reading and taste test. I added a second pack of the Austin spice pack because to me it needed it, but thats more personal preference than anything. Gravity reading right now 1.014....right where it needs to be

Just brewed that one and added 4 lbs of canned pumpkin. Yesterday I transfered over to my secondary and took a sample for hydrometer reading and taste test. I added a second pack of the Austin spice pack because to me it needed it, but thats more personal preference than anything. Gravity reading right now 1.014....right where it needs to be

Question for you, what are you doing about those "orange peel" floaties in the AHS spice pack? They're in my primary now, but I'm thinking I'm going to try and sift them out during secondary transfer. Is that what you did?

thanks for the advice any thoughts on more or less canned pumpkin I'm thinking like 5 cans worth should be good. Also did you cook the pumpkin on a baking sheet prior to adding it? Good call on adding spices to a secondary that way I can taste it and see if it needs it. I have heard though that the pumpkin and spices build the longer this one ages so.... Which yeast you use for the kits??

thanks for the advice any thoughts on more or less canned pumpkin I'm thinking like 5 cans worth should be good. Also did you cook the pumpkin on a baking sheet prior to adding it? Good call on adding spices to a secondary that way I can taste it and see if it needs it. I have heard though that the pumpkin and spices build the longer this one ages so.... Which yeast you use for the kits??

I kept reading that 45 oz - 60 oz will give you a good pumpkin flavor without being overpowering. And yea, I've read the same thing, the longer they bottle condition the more the spices come out.

I didnt cook it I just put it in a bag and soaked with the grain. Lots still get through but like I said I strained well putting into the primary then again into secondary. There still is abit but that will be at the bottom of the bottling bucket. And got ride of the orange floaties.

I plan on another week in secondary then I will bottle and condition till October..

I used Wyeast London Ale

Back