Pumping Hot Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jleach105

Reaction score
I'm new here and will be brewing an all grain batch this weekend. I've built a mash tun cooler with the floor manifold and ball valve with a sprinkler system for fly sparging. I'll be heating the water in a normal kitchen kettle, and was wondering if I could use one of those water pond pumps to pump the water from the hot pot into the sprinkler system for sparging?

Not likely. You'll have a couple issues. First the pump is not likely rated for hot temperate applications and you may damage the pump. Next, because the pump is not food rated, and also not rated for hot temps, the hot water could leach chemicals out of the pumps parts and seals that you do not want in your beer. You would need to get a high temperature food rated pump such as the March 809

It shouldn't be too hard to get a gravity feed for your sparge if you have a drain on your hot water vessel. If this is not the case, you can batch sparge with very little difference in efficiency.

I would say no. I'm not super familiar with pond pumps... Can they handle the temps? Do you need to worry about oils or lubricants in the system giving you off flavors?

Yeah, my hot water vessel doesn't have a drain, therefore, I figured it was either a siphon (too hot), pump (which we discussed), or pouring the hot liquid into a gatorade cooler and attaching a ball valve. I may just go with your suggestion and just batch sparge.

Well, I ended up just getting an aluminum kettle, drilled a hole through it, then installed a ball valve. Brewed this Sunday and it seemed to work pretty well. Beer is in the carboy now and looks like it's fermenting even though it took about 48 hours to show any activity

Back