Pump issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john langley

Reaction score
Greetings;

I have this pump, mp-15rm-110, no brand info on the label. Worked great first few times I used it.

Today had an issue where it stopped pumping when I was trying to pump boiling wort around in a loop to re-circulate.... I've used this pump to do this in the past, but today, NG.

I took it apart after thinking I clogged it but that wasn't the issue. Re-assembled and tested with cool water and works fine.

The only thing I could think is that the plastic impeller housing and impeller may have swelled causing it to seize ?

Would love to hear any thoughts.

I would immediately suspect cavitation due to almost-boiling water hitting the low pressure area within the pump head and immediately boiling again.

Pretty much everyone has that issue if trying to recirculate a boil kettle, for instance. My March 815PL certainly will do it if I'm trying to run it full capacity at full boil. I can dial down the output restriction to where - I suspect - the slowed incoming wort has lost just that bit more temperature that it won't "flash" and keep the wort moving at a much slower rate...

Cheers!

Thanks, yeah so restricting the output slightly....? I will try that next brewday.....

Would a stronger pump, or maybe a metal head help at all you think ?

Thanks, yeah so restricting the output slightly....? I will try that next brewday.....
Would a stronger pump, or maybe a metal head help at all you think ?

Nope. The 815pl is a larger pump with a roughly 175% of the max throughput of a mp-15rm-110, but as I said has the same cavitation issue. And both Chugger and Blichmann pumps with SS heads have the same issue.

Physics will do what it wants :)
Just have to work around it...

Cheers!

Back