Pump impeller replacement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bstacy1974

Reaction score
Has anyone successfully replaced the impeller of a MP-15RM pump? Purchased a new impeller from AliExpress, but can't get it to spin when all the pump head screws are finger tight.
20210124_203224.jpg

Played around with the impellers more today.
Here's the issue. The old pump impeller deformed around the magnet, swelling to the point where it was rubbing. Chucked it in my lathe to just sand it down slightly. Plastic was so thin, a hole opened up with only slight pressure from 300 grit sandpaper. Water came out when this happened. So, somehow water got inside the impeller.
The new impeller binds up when I put the head on. Most all of the measurements between the two impellers are within fractions of mm's of each other, except one. The eye or very center of the new impeller is only 5mm deep. The old impeller is close to 9 mm deep. So, as I tightened the head screws, the impeller is being squeezed. No way for me to fix this and I don't want to keep ordering impellers without knowing if they will work.
Just ordered a Riptide on eBay. That should cure my pump issues once and for all.

Played around with the impellers more today.
Here's the issue. The old pump impeller deformed around the magnet, swelling to the point where it was rubbing. Chucked it in my lathe to just sand it down slightly. Plastic was so thin, a hole opened up with only slight pressure from 300 grit sandpaper. Water came out when this happened. So, somehow water got inside the impeller.
The new impeller binds up when I put the head on. Most all of the measurements between the two impellers are within fractions of mm's of each other, except one. The eye or very center of the new impeller is only 5mm deep. The old impeller is close to 9 mm deep. So, as I tightened the head screws, the impeller is being squeezed. No way for me to fix this and I don't want to keep ordering impellers without knowing if they will work.
Just ordered a Riptide on eBay. That should cure my pump issues once and for all.
Probably best. Sounds like the old pump had heat issues anyway.

Latest posts

Back