Pump for Smaller Batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgaepi

Brewer In Need Of Guidance
Reaction score
I think my brain keeps coming back to this question because either I really want a new shiny toy, I am bored or I think that somehow a pump will make everything go easier but I am wondering if a March or Chugger pump is worth it for 5 gallon brewing? Also maybe the holiday sales is pushing me a little too.

Is it worth the extra cleaning, maintenance, cost, etc?

they are heat resistant and food grade, the only other option is a peristaltic pump, pain in the arse if you ask me.

by the way they are very easy to maintain and clean, the cost is the only issue, and for what they do it is a fair price. If you got back problems or just want to pump wort purchase a march or chugger, other than that roll with gravity

I'm in your same boat, however I have officially asked santa to bring me a shiny new pump for christmas. I'm on 5 gallon batches right now, and don't really see a change in my future. The single biggest driving force for me is to be able to have ALL containers at whatever level I want - no moving water by hand or via gravity unless I want to. With a pump comes extra expense (hoses, maybe ball valves, fittings, etc) and cleaning but I really only plan on moving the hot liquids with it. After the immersion chiller I'll use gravity to drop the wort into a carboy.

I'm sure I'm a bit short-sighted on some of these things but will {happily} deal with them as they come :D

Stpug, unfortunately Hannukah Harry isn't as generous to me.

I pulled the trigger. It is a done deal. I ordered the center inlet though. I am a touch worried about converting from 3/4 to 1/2. I assume that most convert down so why make the 3/4 to begin with.

That's the same one I asked santa for and plan on reducing to 1/2". I guess I'll just have to wait it out.

Back