Psi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wfu1bunn

Reaction score
Have a dogfish head 60, a Miller lite, and a new castle brown ale in my kegerator at 38 degrees with 4ft tubing. What should be psi for each. Thanks.

Have a dogfish head 60, a Miller lite, and a new castle brown ale in my kegerator at 38 degrees with 4ft tubing. What should be psi for each. Thanks.
Do you have a CO2 regulator for each keg, and do your tastes run to higher or lower carbonation levels.

Edit: @38°F, your pressure will need to be 11.2 psi to maintain 2.5 volumes of carbonation.

Brew on :mug:

I think we would need a bit more info to make sure Doug is right. We would need to know the type of beer line, and the elevation of the line for accuracy.
Resistance in lines:
3/16″ ID vinyl tubing = 3 psi/ft
1/4″ ID vinyl tubing = 0.85 psi/ft
3/16″ ID Polyethylene tubing = 2.2 psi/ft
1/4″ ID Polyethylene tubing = 0.5 psi/ft
3/8″ OD Stainless tubing = 0.2 psi/ft
5/16″ OD Stainless tubing = 0.5 psi/ft
1/4″ OD Stainless tubing = 2 psi/ft
Along with 0.5 PSI per foot of elevation.

I think we would need a bit more info to make sure Doug is right. We would need to know the type of beer line, and the elevation of the line for accuracy.
Resistance in lines:
3/16″ ID vinyl tubing = 3 psi/ft
1/4″ ID vinyl tubing = 0.85 psi/ft
3/16″ ID Polyethylene tubing = 2.2 psi/ft
1/4″ ID Polyethylene tubing = 0.5 psi/ft
3/8″ OD Stainless tubing = 0.2 psi/ft
5/16″ OD Stainless tubing = 0.5 psi/ft
1/4″ OD Stainless tubing = 2 psi/ft
Along with 0.5 PSI per foot of elevation.

I didn't say anything about line lengths, only a pressure needed to maintain a middle of the road carb level at the OP's preferred serving temp. This is what you find in all the carbonation charts floating around, and what many calculators spit out. If your pressure is higher than 11.2 psi at 38°F, then the carb level will increase above 2.5 volumes over time. If the pressure is lower than 11.2 psi, then the carb will drop below 2.5 volumes over time. You can pick any two of temp, pressure, carb volumes, and then the third is predetermined in order to maintain (or force to) equilibrium over time.

I have never seen resistance/length values as high as you show anywhere. Where did you get them?

The consensus best line length calculator is this one: http://www.mikesoltys.com/2012/09/17/determining-proper-hose-length-for-your-kegerator/

Brew on :mug:

To the OP. Unless you have something like 1/8'' ID tubing, are using 650ss flow control faucets, or another device to add restriction, you will most likely need a longer length of standard beerline, otherwise you will battle foaming issues with every pour if you want to keep proper carbonation of the beer.

Back