PSI for Wheat Head?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I tried my wheat beer today, and it seems low on fizz. The beer itself isn't what I would describe as flat, but the head is somewhat anemic. I would say it tastes like it could use a little more CO2 zing. I had it at round 12 psi.

What pressure should I be using? I have 7 feet of EVAbarrier on it, with a Perlick 650SS flow control faucet. I have read that wheat likes 15-20 psi. The ale I brewed the other day has 6 feet of line and seems to do okay at 12 psi.

This stuff is 75% wheat and 25% whatever. Keg is at around 38 degrees.

I like my wheat beers and saisons carbed to 3 volumes, while almost everything else I brew I carb to 2.5 volumes.
I use our favorite carbonation table to pick the proper CO2 pressure given the 36°F holding temperature I use...
For 38°F and 3 volumes you'd use 16-17 psi.

[edit] In my experience the 4mm ID EVAbarrier tubing needs roughly 1 foot for each 2 psi of CO2 pressure...

Cheers!

Wheat beers enjoy carbonation. Not sure what the ID is on your beer line, but don't be afraid to hit it with more gas, 16-17psi would put you close to the mark and with around 7 feet of run you shouldn't have too much problem with foaming.

Back