PSA Protect your Yeast Nutrient if you have Cats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cogswell

Reaction score
I found my cat digging like a maniac in a bin of brewing stuff. I though it was funny at first. On closer inspection, it wasn't so funny. A brand new bag of Fermaid O was torn to shreds. The powder was everywhere.

I wrote it off as typical psyco cat behavior at first but as time passed I felt there must be something more to it.

I smelled the remnants of powder left in the bag. It smelled very meaty! Actually, it smelled a lot like the cat treats we buy. I looked into the ingredients list for the cat treats. Bingo! Dried yeast is high on the list. Makes sense. I remember old school vegetarian recipes using brewers yeast to add a meaty flavor to veggie dishes. The local hippe food co-op has a giant bin of the stuff for exactly that use.

As most of you know, one of the main ingredients in most yeast nutrients is dried deactivated yeast.

Protect Your Yeast Nutrient!

(If you have cats and give them treats...)

Great PSA, thanks. I keep my yeast nutrient in a drawer where nobody can get at it (sometimes not even me, the rollers are beat to sh*t and sometimes it doesn't want to open). The only thing my youngest psycho cat gets into on brewday is hiding behind the brewstand, giving me conniptions thinking he's going to get burned. Also he likes to hide in the rafters of the garage, generally about 10 minutes before I need to open the main door to facilitate chilling; and won't come down until I've shaken the treat jar a zillion times and gone after him with my long-handled broom. Solved that problem by running the water-out hose from the chiller through the kitchen (just off the garage) through the window there. Double bonus; now my neighbors can't judge me for the gallons and gallons of water running down the driveway. Now I water my backyard and everybody is happy.

Latest posts

Back