Protocol on serving tastes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carrollyn

Reaction score
I just wanted feed back on this sort of experience from the beer community. When my LHBC serves tastes and samples to the general public at an event like, say, learn to homebrew day, or big brew day, there are members who insist on using a spare pouring pitcher as a dump receptacle for unfinished samples, dregs, etc. The clear plastic pitchers are all identical. Any concerns are met with "we know which pitchers are good beer and which is garbage." I find that a little gross and have offered the sort of vases that wineries use for dumps. But there is resistance.
Is this common? Is this the way you do it?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I hear you. :D

I prefer dump buckets, which are never used to serve beer in. No chance for mistake and no doubt about sanitation. If it's not clear, the dump pitcher should be marked somehow. At the brewclub I've accidentally picked up the dump pitcher once, only to put it down immediately realizing what it was. I don't think it made it more than 5 inches off the table, but the idea is kinda grose.

Yuck! That would gross me out and make me rethink tasting any further beer there.

They definitely need something that clearly signifies which pitchers are for the dregs, or a different-looking receptacle for that purpose. THEY may "know" which ones are which but what if someone who DOESN'T know decides to either pitch out their dregs OR pour themselves a taste - and gets the wrong pitcher? [shudders to think about it]

It's a matter of sanitation. I mean, it's possible they could get SUED and/or shut down if someone were to drink out of the dregs pitcher!

My feelings when I saw how they did it. I'm a relative newcomer to the club, so it's harder to jump up and tell them what to do, when there's already been resistance to my idea. Once, I lifted a pitcher and wondered what it was (when I came over to help pour) until someone saw me and stopped me.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back