Prosit! Registered Student Organization at the Univeristy of Arkansas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Razorbrew

Reaction score
I am a grad student at the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville. I was recently having a discussion with a fellow grad student about home brewing. I said that we should start a student group about brewing and beer judging. He told me that would never happen. I love a good challenge! So, I researched the possibilities and discovered there were no rules against the type of organizations that could be formed as long as they didn't break any rules in the student handbook.

To make a long story short (if that's possible at this point). Prosit! (German cheer for good health) was approved in late December, and just received a little over $1000 in student fees to put on 2 educational events this semester. The money can't be used for beer, but it will pay for everything else.

Andy Matthews
President, Prosit!

Good job! Be careful about any beer being served. Campus police or the state ABC might show up and shut it down. I seem to recall that happened to a group hosting an event on campus in Ohio a couple years ago. Even though they had all the appropriate permits the campus fuzz decided to shut them down anyway. I forget the details but there were threads here about it. You might want to take a look.

Good job! Be careful about any beer being served. Campus police or the state ABC might show up and shut it down. I seem to recall that happened to a group hosting an event on campus in Ohio a couple years ago. Even though they had all the appropriate permits the campus fuzz decided to shut them down anyway. I forget the details but there were threads here about it. You might want to take a look.

We are going to host our events off campus. We have a strict no alcohol on campus policy, but there is a brew pub just off campus we are going to use for our meetings. We will brew at students homes. We will be very careful to follow all state laws. :)

Nice! i went to u of a in fort smith and my fiance went to fayetville. Go hogs!

i am a grad student at the university of arkansas in fayetteville. I was recently having a discussion with a fellow grad student about home brewing. I said that we should start a student group about brewing and beer judging. He told me that would never happen. I love a good challenge! So, i researched the possibilities and discovered there were no rules against the type of organizations that could be formed as long as they didn't break any rules in the student handbook.

To make a long story short (if that's possible at this point). Prosit! (german cheer for good health) was approved in late december, and just received a little over $1000 in student fees to put on 2 educational events this semester. The money can't be used for beer, but it will pay for everything else.

Andy matthews
president,
WPS

WPS!

I'm back in Faytown and I think I'll come to any future meetings you guys have (as well as participate in brewing). Is there anything planned for the summer?

I'm curious to see how you went about it. I'd really like to start a beer program at my school (Georgia Southern University) but haven't actively pursued it. I figure it would never happen down here in the deep south, but it'd be worth a try.

I attend Appalachian State University and am a founding member and current VP of ASU's Zymurgy club. We are at a huge advantage as we have "Ivory Tower Brewery", a brewery run by the chemistry department's fermentation sciences course. We are in the works of becoming the second university in the nation, behind UC Davis, to offer a four year brewing degree and it's all very exciting. This year we held many meetings with the local High Country Homebrew Club and received permission to brew on campus at points as a publicity event (fortunately had the ingredients donated by Ivory Tower).

Keep respectfully pushing the limits and hopefully we will see programs like this offered across the country. Talk with your administrations and let them know that as the students are educated and they gain respect and admiration for the art of brewing, they are put in a position learn to avoid abusing it. Keep pushing.

I'm curious to see how you went about it. I'd really like to start a beer program at my school (Georgia Southern University) but haven't actively pursued it. I figure it would never happen down here in the deep south, but it'd be worth a try.

Sorry about the untimely response. I haven't had a lot of time to get on the site, and must have missed the email notification.

Our university has a great student leadership office, and it manages the registered student organizations. As long as we don't break the law (giving beer to minors) or serve beer on campus, we are good to go. We did set the organization up as primarily an education focused group -- learning about brewing, learning about beer styles.

You might be surprised at what your university will support.

Good Luck.

Hhmmm... I'm about to go back to school for a Master's degree. I might have to look into this possibility at my school.

Back