Props to the Mini-Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PseudoChef

Reaction score
I had posted a little while ago about trying to pull the plug for a complete AG setup, but it was recommended for a larger pot (have a 30qt SS turkey fryer setup already). However, the birthday money I had set aside didn't really support that option. So this past weekend I pulled the trigger and converted the 5 gal cooler.

I did a hybrid American Wheat recipe in which I mashed 5.5 lbs grain. Hit 69% efficiency. Supplemented with 3 lbs Wheat DME.

I must say, tasting the hydro sample, I can already notice a HUGE difference, just from that 5.5 lbs. So much more body and natural sweetness. I can't wait for this one to come out.

I'm so happy with this decision (made not only because of the wallet, but also because of apt size restraints). While I will eventually go AG as these factors change, I couldn't be more excited to plan my next brew!

HA HA HA!!!! The Matrix has you now!!!!

Congrats. If you want to try AG on the cheap with you apt. size constraints, try brewing small batches. 2.5 gal batches are just about perfect for stove-top setups and your 5 gal cooler would be just right. Plus with smaller batches you can brew more often and different styles.

BadKarma said:
HA HA HA!!!! The Matrix has you now!!!!

Congrats. If you want to try AG on the cheap with you apt. size constraints, try brewing small batches. 2.5 gal batches are just about perfect for stove-top setups and your 5 gal cooler would be just right. Plus with smaller batches you can brew more often and different styles.

I've thought about this, but I've always been worried about head space in the secondary. I only can store my 6 gallon primary and 5 gallon secondary right now (space), and have read it's bad to have extra space in the secondary. With even a 2.5 gallon batch, that's 2.5 gallons of O2 that's in there.

I have heard alot about this technique and know that there is a decent post that describes the equipment and how to do it. If anyone has it readily available could you post it or PM to me.

Disregard, All I had to do was look down one more thread. DEE da DEE.

PseudoChef said:
I've thought about this, but I've always been worried about head space in the secondary. I only can store my 6 gallon primary and 5 gallon secondary right now (space), and have read it's bad to have extra space in the secondary. With even a 2.5 gallon batch, that's 2.5 gallons of O2 that's in there.

Just get a smaller carboy:

http://morebeer.com/view_product/16581/102270

Would a smaller batch size take less time to ferment? Also, would it need less time in secondary? I asume the time to condition in the bottle would be the same. Just wondering, because I'm starting to think smaller batches might be nice so that I can try out AG and try more recipies.

You don't really save time with smaller batches (except you can bring the wort to a boil quicker); the idea as I understand it is to make the batches cheaper so you can experiment with your brews with a smaller financial commitment, and with less equipment.

Fermentation and clearing times are about the same.

Another alternative is to do two mashes. Process the first batch of wort normally, but only boil the second to hot break, then cool. Or split the hops and do two complete boils.

Widmer has a 250 barrel setup, but 750 and 1000 barrel fermenters. They mash 23 hours a day, 6 days a week.

Latest posts

Back