Proper adjustment of Corona Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapaddict

Reaction score
I just picked up a used corona mill. I was curious if there is any trick to properly adjust and maintain that adjustment. The burr plate that is attached to the auger is held in place by a cotter key and a retainer. There seems to be quite a bit of side to side and up and down wobble or play when it is adjusted out far enough to give the type of crush I am looking for. I considered cutting thin wooden shims .050" about 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch long wide out of something hard like oak or hickory and putting them at 12, 3, 6 and 9 O'clock and then tightening the plates together on the shims. This would keep the plates parallel with one another around the entire circumference. Anyone else have any other thinggs that have worked for you?

Jeff

I just accept the Corona for what it is, i.e., not a burr mill. I know people have found found some adjustments that work well, but mine seems to do okay as it is. However, I don't get much play in the rotating plate, although I do get some wobbling relative to the static plate. I've adjusted mine (and marked it for barley and wheat) such that I get as fine a crush as I can without shredding up the husks too bad (at least for barley). That seems to work best, and results in a mixture of flour, grits, and husks.

there is another thread on this subject.

http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=7492

FWIW, I consider the corona mill a fairly rudimentary tool, that does the job well, for the price. Like all technniques in AG brewing there is always an ample amount of tweaking required for one's lab. We all enjoy different conditions unique to our brew lab environments which require us to make adjusments accordingly.

If you have a LHBS near you check them out for a sample on how the crushed grain should look, and feel. This will help when you a grinding away in your lab.

Latest posts

Back