Propane is expensive

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
21.99 exchange in NC or 14.50sh if I take the tank to get it filled.

I've noticed prices can vary widely, from different vendors and even from the same chains in different localities. I'd say call around first.

A friend of mine tells me that with an exchange you will only get a 75% fill, and at a filling station you can get a full fill.

I got mine filled at loves truck stop. They also fill them at tractor supply company if you have them by you.

Exchange is only 17 and refill is 15 ish for me.

$13 for a fill on Wednesday

Last summer I got a tank filled and when I got home I could smell propane, and noticed it was leaking around my valve. I took the tank back and the guy bled off some. He said it was the pressure relief valve that was leaking, and his scale must have hung up. Then he explained his scale was set for 19 lbs to prevent that from happening, occasionally with a full 20lbs in the sun or when heated next to the grill the pressure release can bleed off some gas if the pressure swings too much. Went on to say with a exchange you really get 18-18.5 lbs if you read the fine print, for the same reason. Most people just assume its a full 20 lbs, he just per pound that he sells, so even if you bring in a partly full tank you pay for what he puts in.

$13 for a fill on Wednesday

Last summer I got a tank filled and when I got home I could smell propane, and noticed it was leaking around my valve. I took the tank back and the guy bled off some. He said it was the pressure relief valve that was leaking, and his scale must have hung up. Then he explained his scale was set for 19 lbs to prevent that from happening, occasionally with a full 20lbs in the sun or when heated next to the grill the pressure release can bleed off some gas if the pressure swings too much. Went on to say with a exchange you really get 18-18.5 lbs if you read the fine print, for the same reason. Most people just assume its a full 20 lbs, he just per pound that he sells, so even if you bring in a partly full tank you pay for what he puts in.

I assumed I got a full tank, your post is good to know, I never thought about the expansion and pressure valve...

I called U-haul just now and asked if 27$ to fill a 20lb tank was normal? They said it was 4.79 a gallon and that's what it cost. I still think something is wrong with this place. I'll find another fill place. And as to the trade-out post above, Blue rhino will only fill a tank to 14.8lbs here because they say it can't be more than 80% full, and that cost 20$.

We have place here called Crafty Beaver, and they were doing swaps for 12.99$. I had to save money and go to U-haul :<(

Around here the exchanges are usually a bad deal since they are 15# of gasin a 20# capacity tank. More expensive and you run out sooner. Still worth it if you have a tank that needs a hydro, is in bad shape, or are hard up for gas after hours (the local home despot has an automated exchange outside the store).

We just filled two tanks for $32 at a local equipment rental store.

A good way to get ripped off is to exchange your 20 lb tank. The tank you get in exchange will only ever have 15-18 lbs in it depending on the propane company. The only reason you should ever exchange a propane tank is if the tank you have is outdated or in bad shape. It's generally cheaper to exchange for a used tank with 15 lbs of propane in it than it is to buy a new one and get a 15 lb fill.

Also, if you go to a place that fills propane tanks, make sure they only charge you for what they actually put in. Some fill stations will charge you for 20 lbs of propane if you are getting a 20 lb tank filled regardless of how much propane they actually put in the tank (yes, even if they only put 1 lb in it). Most places don't do this but, depending on where you live, they are allowed to by law.

An empty 20 lb tank that is functioning properly WILL take a full 20 lbs of propane if properly purged. 20 lbs is 80% of the tank's actual capacity.

Over here in PA, the price of propane has gone up slightly from last year as a result of the long, cold winter we had.

I live in a podunk town (just recently population exceeded 2,000) that got a Dollar General store a couple years back. Before brewing my last batch I took my one empty 20# tank over to exchange for another, figuring I was due to run out during the brewday (I didn't, of course), and paid $20 for the exchange. I can't recall what I've paid at other places in the area but given the captive market of a small town here, IMO, if you're paying more than $20 for a 20# tank, you're getting ripped off.

That is way too high. Find a local rv park or hardware store. Propane in the NW is about 2 something a gallon. And 5 gallon tank should be 20 lbs if I remember correctly

That is way too high. Find a local rv park or hardware store. Propane in the NW is about 2 something a gallon. And 5 gallon tank should be 20 lbs if I remember correctly

Not sure if you were referring to me or the OP or what but I will say there's no way you'll find it that cheap in my immediate area. 10-15 miles away maybe but even then I think $14-16 is as low as you'll see. Sometimes driving 30 miles round trip to save $4 isn't worth it at all.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

I got the best one yet. We have a guy that lives in his trailer out in the field next to a HUGE tank. He's always open. When I had a late night brew session & ran outta propane late............................ I just banged on his door & he helped me right out.

He may not take a bath or shave for weeks on end, (heck, he helped me out in his pajamas & slippers) but he will fill a tank for $17 all day & all night! ;)

I got the best one yet. We have a guy that lives in his trailer out in the field next to a HUGE tank. He's always open. When I had a late night brew session & ran outta propane late............................ I just banged on his door & he helped me right out.

He may not take a bath or shave for weeks on end, (heck, he helped me out in his pajamas & slippers) but he will fill a tank for $17 all day & all night! ;)

Was this him?

vlurd3vw2hjhh2h3.jpg

005TDH_Kevin_Heffernan_008.jpg

Back