Propane Burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngusPA

Reaction score
I just brewed my first batch and have it fermenting in a carboy. Everything seemed to go well, and it started to actively ferment after about 18 hours. The only problem i had was bringing to boil each step b/c i'm using an electric burner.

Do most people who don't have gas ranges use portable LP burners? Are there any that can be used indoors or do you have to do outdoors (which sounds unpleasant in the middle of winter here in PA)?

Gas is the way to go. Small boils are ok for a gas range. Lareg boil or full boil I would look at getting a turky fryer or something like that.

I have the same Banjo Burner listed above. Once I started full boils, I ran into similar problems and had to use the turkey fryer.

Also, I would never use an LP burner indoors, it seems too dangerous to me. A screened in porch or large garage might be OK, but make sure it's well ventilated.

I would suggest reading this thread Heatstick = Awesome!. You can build an electric heatstick to supplement your stove letting you do full boils right in the kitchen.

If you aren't comfortable working with electricity then a turkey fryer may be the way to go.

Go gas/propane and deal with the weather. I too have the SQ-14 and I am loving it, it may not be the best unit out on the market but I have no complaints! 20 minutes from flame start to boiling for about 8 gallon boils! Plus when you are outside it is easy to hook up and use your garden hose for the chiller!

Most of my brew days are spent under some sort of cover due to our ever-present rain here in the Northwest and I usually have a heavy coat on too. After drinking a few homebrews the weather does not seem so bad:cross:

Latest posts

Back