Propane burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ardowling

Reaction score
Hi, I need some recommendations for propane burners or maybe just changing out the regulator on my current burner. I am using a turkey fryer to brew 5 gallon batchs but it takes up 3 hours at full flow to boil the wort so my brew days are 5 hours long due to waiting on the boil. Does anybody have any suggestions.
Thanks
Al

weird...my turkey fryer I got from walmart works at 3/4 rate and rolling boil in 15-20 minutes.

If you want to do it on the cheap I would just buy a new regulator like this: http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-M5HPR-1-Regulator-Assembly/dp/B0009JXYSM

I use that regulator and it works fine on a standard burner to bring 10 gallons to a rolling boil quickly.

If you want overkill and money isn't a concern then I suggest the banjo burner but you will go through propane much more quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to do it on the cheap I would just buy a new regulator like this: http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-M5HPR-1-Regulator-Assembly/dp/B0009JXYSM

I use that regulator and it works fine on a standard burner to bring 10 gallons to a rolling boil quickly.

If you want overkill and money isn't a concern then I suggest the banjo burner but you will go through propane much more quickly.

Actually, one of the cool things about the banjo burner is once you get a boil going, you can turn the propane way down and still keep it boiling. I've found it uses less propane than a smaller burner you have to keep cranked the whole time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all suggestions, based on the info provided I did a little research on my fryer and low and behold it has a 5 psi regulator so needless to say I ordered the one that was suggested in the thread.
Thanks
Al

Not much information ardowling to give you advice. What I can tell you from my experience is getting the flame adjusted properly makes a huge difference. What I do is close the shutter all the way, open the regulator enough to light the burner, let it burn for a little while, open the shutter to get rid of the yellow tips on the flame, and then start opening the regulator valve to get a roaring flame.

Back