Propane BTU question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drummin101

Reaction score
I am looking at an outdoor burner for an all grain setup and have seen burners that range from 55,000 btu's all the way up to 200,000 btu. I am planning on doing 5-10 gallon batches outside and am wondering what the minimum BTU's i should look for when purchasing my outdoor burner. thanks.

If you ever expect to do 10 gallon all-grain batches in freezing weather, I'd recommend 150,000 or more.

Hijack -> The turkey fryer I bought did not list BTU, it has a 10 PSI valve...any guess on how strong it is or how I could figure that out?

Although I stay in the garage and away from the wind I have 55,000 burners with wind screens that have no problem with 10 gallon batches.

It's 20-30 minutes to get from 60 degrees to 165 degrees for my dough in. It also takes no more than 10 minutes to get from 170 mashout to boiling temp on my setup.

i ended up with a 180,000 BTU burner. I am sure this will be plenty and i will probably fly through gas.

Back