Propane and Solenoids

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zachriggle

Reaction score
I notice that a lot of folk are big on the Honeywell systems which automate (and include) a solenoid designed for low pressure propane/NG systems.

I've got a high pressure regulator (10 psi; for burners), and a separate low pressure regulator (for the pilot) teed off at the source. I would like to be able to use this solenoid in order to control the direct-fire mash tun.

This solenoid seems to check all of the boxes -- easy to manipulate (mains electricity, a solid state relay, and a Raspberry Pi controlling it), it has Viton seals (resistant to fuel/gas degredation), and an easy NPT thread.

The only modifications that I plan to make are:

- Tee off before the stock regulator, to add a low-pressure regulator (in parallel, not series)
- Place the solenoid inline, before the needle valve, for the mash/lauter burner
- Jury-rig a pilot light. I'm not concerned enough about the pilot going out, and spewing propane everywhere, to want to deal with a Honeywell system. As best I can tell, one of the yellow flexible gas-oven/gas-dryer install hoses is the easiest route, with a plug in the end of the hose and a very small hole drilled in it.

I should be able to seal all of the fittings well - I have the high-performance permatex, as well as yellow gas tape, and gas leak detector.

Are there any obvious reason that this won't work, and I'll blow myself up? I'm better with electronics than gas plumbing.

I use one with a standing pilot with natural gas and a Ranco controller, It works great.

I use the same solenoid for my direct fired RIMs and it works great. I still use a thermocouple for pilot detection though. I mounted the TC and the pilot on an angled mending plate so the TC always sits in the pilot flame. This safety feature was easily integrated into my controls since my controller is a PLC. As a control systems engineer, I'd highly advise against a standing pilot without pilot or flame detection of some sort. I recall at least one incident in the past 6 months of use where this feature proved its usefulness.

The standing pilot is definitely not meant to be used unattended and a thermocouple is no doubt the better way to go.

What the previous people said. Also that would work but should be only cutting gas to the burner. So after that T. The fear is always that a pilot will go out. If you use propane then gas pooling is that much more a possibility and precautions can make a greater difference.

Back