Promash Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidkrau

Reaction score
When I setup promash, I set the "Default Brewhaus Efficiency " at 75% as recommended. When I did an actual brew and plugged in the numbers I had a 78% efficiency. My question is what does this mean? Did I get 78% of a 75% efficiency or an actual 51% eficiency. Why do the have a " Default Brewhaus Efficiency" at all and what does it meam?

Promash needs to know the Brew-house efficiency to convert the amount of grain used into the amount of extract that will end up in the wort. Since this efficiency needs to be determined by brewing a batch, a default is given to help you designing your 1st batch. Once you brewed your 1st batch, you will get a more accurate value for your system (78% in your case).

bear in mind, that the efficiency depends not only on your system, but also the type of grain (e.g barley vs. wheat malt), sparging technique, OG (higher gravity beers may have a lower efficiency since you may have to stop lautering before almost all of the sugars are rinsed out), mashing schedule ....

But these differences will only be a few percent points in your efficiency. Once you have done more batches you will get a feel for the efficiency on your system and you can better predict the efficiency for future batches. But for now, since both are close, just work with the default 75% or your last efficiency of 78%.

Kai

Don't forget the water. Different grisits require different amounts of water. With a high gravity beer you can end up with nine or ten gallons of wort in the kettle pre-boil. The amount of time you boil and the amount of flame used can effect how much wort ends up in your fermenter. This has been a continuous struggle for me. I end up adjusting my water needed numbers after the brewing session to correct the difference when I don't hit my target post boil volume.

Latest posts

Back