Project Fi cell provider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCrackpot

Reaction score
The wife and I just ditched our phone companies and switched to Google's Project Fi. Has anyone else tried it? If so, what do you think? Is there anything weird we should expect? (Even though it's kinda late considering we already switched)

I'm pretty excited to potentially save $100/mo on cell and data service but I'm a bit nervous about leaving the relatively safe confines of a major service provider.

I'd been with Sprint for the past 11 years so I know what to expect as far as that goes. I've been paying for unlimited data for the past several years but have only averaged .25GB/mo since I got a new job a couple years ago and I don't use it to stream music at work anymore.

I'm hoping that the T-Mobile towers will improve the somewhat spotty service that I got with Sprint sometimes. I'm interested in how seamlessly it will be able to switch from WiFi calling to using a cell tower while in mid-call.

My biggest concern is that Google, for whatever reason, will up and decide to discontinue the service (which they are known to do). Either way, I guess there are other 'pay for what you use' providers out there that I could go to if that happens.

It's bothersome that you are limited to the phones that work on it. Right now, it's basically just the Nexus 5x and 6's. Not bad phones but I would prefer a Galaxy. Also, I've never had to buy a phone without the deep discounts that you get with a 2 yr contract with the big guys. I got the 5x for $200 which is $150 off the full price. Hopefully, in the next couple years, they will bring some more phones into the fold and offer discounts on them.

All in all, it's working good after one day and the price, so far, is right.

It is truly incredible, but then again I live in the Greater Boston area where everyone has amazing coverage. The combination of T-mobile and Sprint makes a network better than AT&T or Verizon in my area.

The real gem is international travel, data is only $10 a Gb and phone calls are 20 cents per minute. I have used it so far in Spain, Ireland, Taiwan, Japan and South Korea with great coverage.

My only regret is Project Fi won't work with the iPhone as it is a superior ecosystem for people with kids and a spouse. (iCloud, Facetime, photo sync, etc)

Chris

How long have you been using it?

I agree about the phones. One can only hope that they won't try to use this as vehicle to sell more Nexus phones and they'll open it up to more models. I'm not sure if the iPhone will ever become available on it though. I would be surprised if Apple didn't start their own "Project Fi" in the future.

My wife has been testing it out while I'm out of the country for the better part of this year. So far in Colorado it has been very good. Another benefit is wifi calling in the house means perfect "reception" (not all carriers have the released so far).

When i get back home, i will probably drop AT&T and the iPhone to go with GoogleFi.

Matt

I joined the project by about 2 weeks ago so far I have been very happy with the quality of the phone as well as the service.

Latest posts

Back