Project box for diy stir plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcs401

Reaction score
Does anyone know where or what else can be used in place of project boxes. I'm trying to find something comparable because most radio shacks near me are going bankrupt and are not getting supplies in. I'm trying to find something possibly from say Home Depot or lowes that could be used in place that would work well. Any ideas???

You could also check a Michaels craft store or something like that, they have small unfinished wood boxes that might work.

Cigar boxes work great, from what I've seen.

You can typically get these at any Tobacco store, if you have those in your area. I have several relatively close to me.

Other than that, I would think that you could use just about anything with a flat surface to build this in. I think I saw one built out of an old VCR/DVD one time, though I forget where that post is.

As far as the project boxes I have a couple of radio shacks in my area, I could check and see if they have one and send it to you. I bought mine there a couple of years ago when I built my stir plate.

have you searched eBay? They probably have lots of cheap ones on there from China or Hong Kong if you don't mind waiting for it to be shipped.

Shipping to Canada from there is normally 2.5-3 weeks (12-15 business days)

I just made one with scrap plywood from my garage today and it seems to work so far. In some ways a thinner project box would be easier, but this was free so I thought I'd try building my own first.

Do you have any old external hard drives lying around that you are no longer using? That is what I used for mine. Nice and low profile (not too thick) but still wide enough to keep the entire flask on it. The great part is it has air slits all along three of the 4 sides so the fan will get plenty of air flow and you won't have to worry about it overheating.

14cur7t.jpg

I used a wooden box from Hobby Lobby. Stained it up, put some polyurethane on it. The box is big enough to allow me to store the power supply inside the box when not in use, along with my stirbars. Mine only uses a 6V 600mA power supply. The cost for the box at Hobby Lobby was $7.

Stir-Plate.jpg

Google it dude. They're out there. I got lucky and got the last one, 7x5x3, from a local radio shack.
Used an ink pen tube marked precisely with calipers to make 4 shims to fit over #10 bolts to position the fan so the magnets are 1/32" from the top.
Works very well

image.jpg

Be creative. Surely you have SOME sort of box lying around. Finished mine last night. I was planning to use acigar box until I realize I had thrown all of mine out last time I cleaned out the garage. Glock case to the rescue.

IMAG2954_zpstbpcsnky.jpg

The electrical dept at a home center store might have weatherproof plastic boxes with screw on covers. I bought one for my STC-1000 and outlets for a ferm chamber. I paid around $10-12, IIRC.

Back