Progression of secondary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mijclarke

Reaction score
This is my first time kegging. I have 3.5 - 4 gallons in a corny keg. On day 5, I transferred from conical (1st time using it) to the corny keg which I cut the dip tube on bc it will be both my secondary fermentation and serving vessel (cut off bottom of dip tube around 2 in). My OG was 1.080. Day 5 it was 1.034. Today (day 10) it’s at 1.028. The Omega cosmic punch Yeast should get it to 1.021 - 1.023. I have a spunding valve that I’ve been keeping around 7 psi. The room temp is 69 near keg and I’ve wrapped a towel around it.
Curious how long one might expect their New England double ipa with cosmic punch or British Ale V yeast to drop 0.005 to 0.007 gravity points? I know it’s impossible to predict but I’d hate to keep sampling the keg and have less than 3 gallons before I carbonate especially with the shortened dip tube. TIA

Why not let it finish in the conical? And with a beer at 1.080 OG I would wait 2 weeks before taking any samples.
Predicted FG are just estimations, it could very well be finished, mash a little lower next time if you are not happy with it.

I guess if you needed the conical for your next batch, then letting it finish in the keg makes sense. And some even do the entire ferment in a keg... I think.

However conical fermenters biggest thing is that they allow you to remove the trub and become everything a secondary was suppose to be without the need to transfer your beer and all the risks that entails.

As far as sampling, just don't sample so often. I usually waited till the beer started to clear up or about two weeks, then took my first SG, then another at least 3 days later or even weeks later after my beer was entirely dead looking and clean enough to see through. Though in a keg you can't do that.

But, if you realize there is no hurry, then just wait the prescribed ferment time before you take your first sample for FG. Otherwise a Rapt Pill, Tilt or iSpindle might be a good investment. Not sure how well they work in a keg, but people use them in stainless steel ferment vessels.

Don't worry if your FG turns out not to be what the recipe FG is. However you do need to let it reach it's true FG. And you should figure out why you got the FG you did if it's off by more than a few points.

Just to report back this beer turned out great and although I didn’t take a FG I suspect the gravity from day 10 was not read correctly bc I didn’t remove any dissolved CO2

Back