Problem with yeast.?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwturnernc

Reaction score
Brewed 10 gallons a blonde ale all grain on Monday. Placed into 2-5 gallon buckets. Pitched 1 packet of Nottingham ale yeast in each bucket. Bucket one has active fermentation bubbling air lick, krausen etc, bucket 2 nothing. Both dry yeast packets have same date. I'm going to pitch another packet of yeast in number 2. Any thoughts on what happened.

Brewed 10 gallons a blonde ale all grain on Monday. Placed into 2-5 gallon buckets. Pitched 1 packet of Nottingham ale yeast in each bucket. Bucket one has active fermentation bubbling air lick, krausen etc, bucket 2 nothing. Both dry yeast packets have same date. I'm going to pitch another packet of yeast in number 2. Any thoughts on what happened.

No signs of fermentation or just no bubbles inthe airlock? If the latter, look inside. If the former and it's been a few days, weird. If the latter and it hasn't been a few days, it will probablybstart. In any event, and extra pack won't hurt anything.

My hypothesis, if the weird result is the one you're observing, I'd guess they were handled differently and that one got hot... really hot. Or maybe really cold.

Could it just be that the lid didn't seal completely and air is scaling through there instead of the airlock? That is pretty common. I would take a peek in the fermentor to see if there is any krausen or a ring of residue from fallen krausen.

Lid was on tight as a tick. No signs of fermentation in the fermenter. I repitched and will wait to see what happen. Took gravity reading and it's a bit lower that Og.( 1.052-1.049) And as sweet as what went in fermenter

Back