Problem with tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boltsfan2

Reaction score
I have a double tower and I'm having a problem with one side. If I try and pull it all the way open it stops. If I back off a bit it does pour, but it is very hard to keep it in the right position to avoid getting a lot of foam. The other side is working great. I can just pull that one all the way open and it will pour the perfect beer.

Is the tower new..Used..Diy.
What brand/type of faucet is it.. might be missing a part.Post a pic if ya can

Did you install it new? What did you do with the two flat washers that came with the tower?

Some homebrewers will install these washers behind the faucets when the washers are actually supposed to go inside the beer nuts that you cut off to attach your disconnects. And installing the washers behind the faucets causes the EXACT symptoms you are experiencing!

I bet you the price of a good beer that I'm right. It's a common mistake, so common that we remove the beer washers from any towers we sell that we know will be used in homenrew systems. Before we started removing the beer washers I was getting at least 2 calls or emails a week about the same issue!

Why would they put that washer in there to begin with. It fixed the problem, but I would bet the other tower has the washer in it and it pours fine.

The washer does not belong there - it belongs inside the fitting you screw onto the keg coupler (tap). But most homebrewers don't use keg couplers and we cut the fittings of the ends of the lines so that we can put the lines on disconnects.

The problem is - the washer fits behind the faucet really well, so some homebrewers think it belongs there - and there it ends up.

The other faucet probably also has a washer in it. Sometimes the washer causes a problem & sometimes not. All depends on how everything stacks up inside.

Back