problem with ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbelay

Reaction score
i'm brewing a higher alc.IPA and I realize , now that the 60 min boil is on , that I am low on DME. The recipe calls for 7 lbs of DME and I only have 4.5. I did steep grainsIs there anything I can sub? Also I syepped up my starter 3 times to help with the higher alc. If there is nothing I can sub with is this too much yeast?

Subbing with sugar will up the ABV's, but will thin things out. If you're not going to be out of balance with your hops, you can just let it go as it is. Or, if you need more DME to make the hops you used work, you could hold back a little bit of your top-up water, get another 2.5 lbs of DME tomorrow, boil it for 10 minutes or so in the amount of water you left out and then carefully add that to your fermenter.

So hold back enough top off water to boil the dme that I'm lacking and gently pour that in tomorrow. What about the starter? do I wait to put that in or do I go ahead and get the brew fermenting then add the extra Dme dissolved in a gallon or so?

I would add the yeast now and let them get started. Boil the additional wort and add it tomorrow or even wait a couple of days.

We brewed a Belgian strong pale ale last year. Started the yeast in some 1.068 wort. After a couple of days, we boiled a pound of sugar and added that to the fermenter. Worked like a champ and the beer went from 1.076 OG (including the sugar) to 1.008 FG.

Thanks, y'all. I'm feelin better about the situation. Hate to waste $ and time. Great help from you folks all the time.

Back