Problem w/ Mr. Malty Pitch Calculator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
So I was using the calcualtor this morning and found a glich I think....

When I selected the hybrid yeast (since I'm using a Kolsch strain) when my OG was 1.045 the starter required was 1.94L compared to 1L at 1.050. What gives? Has anyone else had this issue?

I switched the setting to Ale yeast and noticed that the starter size went up with OG and down when OG was lower just like it is suppose to.

With that in mind what size starter should I use for WLP029 with an estimated OG of 1.045?

I'm not seeing any abnormalities (playing with the calculator now).

What was your full set-up for the calculator? viability, batch size, type of starter, growth rate, etc?

chances are the first calculation was based on a one-smack-pack starter, and the other assumed you were making a start with multiple smack packs. Increase the 'growth factor' slider

I've never had to adjutant the growth rate before.

I did liquid yeast 71 percent viability 5 gallons and intermediate shaking.

chances are the first calculation was based on a one-smack-pack starter, and the other assumed you were making a start with multiple smack packs. Increase the 'growth factor' slider

Prosper hit the nail on the head. It changes the yeast packs needed to 2 for the 1.05. For 1.045 it only requires 1.

Prosper hit the nail on the head. It changes the yeast packs needed to 2 for the 1.05. For 1.045 it only requires 1.

bingo.

If you want to stick with one pack, you would need to slide the growth factor to the right and it will then require a 2.59 quart starter for your 1.050 wort.

Back