Problem: two kegs, small fridge, one co2 tank, ....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BootsyFlanootsy

Reaction score
So I was recently gifted 2 corny kegs and a 5lb co2 tank. I force carbed my first keg, ( kolsch), and was drinking it by that night. Problem is; my calculations were off and my fridge, ( at this point), can only fit one keg at a time. I have a Patersbier I would like to pressurize and I'm wondering if there isn't some way to facilitate this.

Here is what I've been mulling over....

If the chilled, carbed keg is taken out of the fridge and disconnected from the gas, will it

A) suffer any ill effects flavor-wise from temperature swings?

and

B) how will doing this affect the level of carbonation in the keg?

My guess is that it should stay carb'ed and that once back in the fridge and sufficiently cooled and put back on serving pressure, it should be fine.

Shouldn't notice flavor changes from swings. If anything, the beer will mature a bit more.

If you leave one off the gas, have you considered priming with sugar and naturally carbing it? That would buy you a few weeks of not worrying and when you're ready to swap kegs, you wont waste time/gas waiting for it to carb up. Just something to think about.

After they are carbed though, it should hold pressure and stay carbonated just fine. That is, if the seal is good and no leaks are there.

actually, I hadn't considered priming it.

are there any issues with co2 levels when priming at room temperature?

as in to say, will the pressure swing in one direction or another once it is chilled?

Latest posts

Back