Probe doesn't fit...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dillbag

Reaction score
Got a new Johnson Digital Temp Controller today and a bung with a dip tube for the probe. Excited to try and actually control fermentation temps now, but...

The probe doesn't fit into the tube. The crimps where the metal cap is attached to the wire are just slightly too fat.

Anyone have suggestions? Can I remove the metal cap and put a gel in the dip tube? Should I mash the cap...?

I purchased a piece of SS tube from McMaster Carr, cut it to length, and bend the end of the tube over and pounded it flat with a hammer. Works great!

Here is the part number for a 1' piece (I got the 6') MMC# 8457K25

ehedge20, did you replace the probe? Or you used that as your thermowell?

kgalle, here's some photo's:
beer_0026.jpg
beer_0065.jpg

You can see that the probe has a crimped edge, this is what is catching on the thermowell tube.

If it were me, I would probably try to squeeze, crimp and fold until it fits.

...if it were me, that is...

Dillbag said:
ehedge20, did you replace the probe? Or you used that as your thermowell?

kgalle, here's some photo's:

You can see that the probe has a crimped edge, this is what is catching on the thermowell tube.

I used the tube for the thermowell. Im on vacation but I will try to remember to take a photo when I get back.

Back